Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
kpm

Cooling Belt Preference ?

I'm about to change the front motor mount and water pump and will change the belt too.

Any preference? I can get the big three through my store (Dayco,Gates, Goodyear).

Pros and Cons ?

The Porsche belt is $51 and change, and mine is anywhere from $35 to $52 less 25% employee discount.

Oh, it's a '01 S manual.

Last edited by kpm; 01-04-2011 at 08:03 AM.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #2

You need a new dealer, the OEM belt retails for less than $30.............
Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
kpm

Naw... I'm pretty happy with Porsche of Annapolis. I'm just interested to see if there is a preference or if there is a belt you would not use.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #4

Personally, I would only use the Porsche OEM (which as JFP correctly says should be < $35 locally or $20 from Sunset or Suncoast Porsche). FWIW, there have been posters (on this board no less) who tried using the 'correct' GY or others belts only to find they didn't fit.

Though it only takes two minutes to replace the actual belt (once you removed all the interior liners/carpet, parcel shelf, front engine cover, etc.), you don't want to have to tear everything down only to find the belt you picked up won't work...

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I used the Contitech belt for $30 and it fit real snug (hopefully not too snug). I put it on one of the pulleys last since they don't have a lip. 800 miles and no problem yet...interestingly 53k miles on the original and it was basically still new, I figured I was in there so I changed it. I didn't check Suncoast prices, might be cheaper there. Cheers.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You need a new dealer, the OEM belt retails for less than $30.............
(old thread, i know...)

called the dealership parts dep't yesterday - they're listing the belt for $72+tax