Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #1

Trying to change trans fluid..I'm stuck

I'm in the middle of the process and all the nuts and bolts came out fine but the aluminum belly plate is stuck. It's hung up on 1 bolt on each side of the plate...specifically the threads because the holes in the pan weren't quite cut big enough imo. Hans must've jammed the plate on and locked her down with a nut. I've pulled like mad and banged on it with a rubber mallet and she's not going anywhere. Have any of you guys encountered this problem as well and if so any suggestions? Here are some pics to show...it's the lower bolt in the pictures giving me problems and its the same way on the other side. Everything else is free and loose.

Last edited by Adam; 12-24-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

This is common and I have yet to work on a car that wasn't this way. String a ratchet strap across the two suspension members and pull them inboard until it takes the pressure off of the studs. Don't put the weight of the car on the suspension without that aluminum belly pan in place. Also, I assume you have the special tool required to remove the drain plug??? if not, you will find yourself stuck again.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
This is common and I have yet to work on a car that wasn't this way. String a ratchet strap across the two suspension members and pull them inboard until it takes the pressure off of the studs. Don't put the weight of the car on the suspension without that aluminum belly pan in place. Also, I assume you have the special tool required to remove the drain plug??? if not, you will find yourself stuck again.
I'll try to hunt down a ratchet strap and give that a shot. Thanks! I have a 6 speed.... I read that it doesn't require a special tool only the 5 speeds do. Hopefully that is right.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #4

Is the car sitting on the rear tires? If it is, you will always have a problem removing the plate..................
Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Is the car sitting on the rear tires? If it is, you will always have a problem removing the plate..................
No the whole car is up on jack stands. I managed to get the plate unstuck. I used an old brake shoe tool that resembles a small crow bar and it did the trick. I'm going to drill those two holes out slightly larger so it shouldn't be such a PITA next time. It was a piece of cake except for that and the fluid is draining as we speak. The stuff is a dark amber color like semi-used motor oil. Not as dark as the other guys though. Porsche must use a pretty dark amber gear lube like you mentioned. RL is going in to take it's place. Hopefully it will solve the shifting issues I'm having.

Last edited by Adam; 12-24-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #6

Don't drill the holes out. It's like that for a reason. If you drill the holes out, you will be relying solely on the clamping force of the nut to keep things in place. Just put it back together the same way you took it apart.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #7

Adam, isn't awfully cold to be working under the Boxster today? Glad you got it figured out.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
Adam, isn't awfully cold to be working under the Boxster today? Glad you got it figured out.
LOL...naw garage is heated. If you ever need help doing yours I'd give ya a hand.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #9

Thanks for the posting Adam. I will be doing my '01 986 S soon. Even though it only has 18,000 miles on it I want it changed due to the age. I did my 993 turbo after buying it last year with 38,000 miles on it. Dark black. Same with the brake fluid. Odd that people don't take better care of these cars.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Thanks for the posting Adam. I will be doing my '01 986 S soon. Even though it only has 18,000 miles on it I want it changed due to the age. I did my 993 turbo after buying it last year with 38,000 miles on it. Dark black. Same with the brake fluid. Odd that people don't take better care of these cars.
I had this exact same problem!! Getting it off was tough, getting it back on was proving to be impossible! I should have opened up the holes as well!
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
Don't drill the holes out. It's like that for a reason. If you drill the holes out, you will be relying solely on the clamping force of the nut to keep things in place. Just put it back together the same way you took it apart.
I agree entirely. I believe that you'll change the geometry of how the car sits by expanding the available travel for the plate and it's likely to be just as hard to get off next time.

I haven't done this job before but that's my 2 cents.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #12

This video has a great tip for checking behind the drain plug to look for bearing grease that may have leaked out indicating some possible future issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAl9g_Oar7I&feature=related

It's about 2:21 minutes in.

john90290 is offline   Reply With Quote