Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #1

Wife's Porsche totalled

My wife was on her way to bowling last Wednesday when a man turned into the driver's side of her Porsche as she was going through an intersection. Due to the force of being hit it propelled her head on into another car. Terri was transported to the emergency room treated and released. She is sore and has a nice shiner over and in her right eye.
The car is a goner and she is mad. It was almost paid off and was going to be her weekend car. So much for that. Next is the trauma we mucst endure dealing with insurance people settling this claim already expecting them to low ball us.

Attached Images

73Lifeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

Glad to hear your wife's injuries are very minor. Cars can be replaced, people can't.

Looks like a pretty hard hit. What year is it? I ask because if it has side airbags, it doesn't appear that they deployed... I would have expected them to do so given the offset strike to the front.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #3

Glad to hear your wife is ok, that's the most important thing.
My Boxster got totaled about a month ago and it's been a really big battle getting the insurance to get us the actual amount the car is worth, we got it from $8500 to $9700, and we filed another claim to try and get it a bit higher than that (it should be worth around $10,500 in fairness I think). Just keep at their tail and don't settle for anything until you're satisfied.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I'm really sorry to hear that. But, at least your wife is still okay! That's good to know, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #5

Glad to hear your wife is ok. I am also sorry to hear about your loss. Reminds me of the new Subaru commercial.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
Carnut

I feel for you guys! Just finished with the insurance of a guy who drove in to our kids' car, not pretty! It seems that insurances are out there not to make it right but to screw you......
Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
JTP

That sucks but it easily could have been much worse. Glad your wife's injuries were minor although still painful.
The car looks like it has alot of salvageable parts. After the settlement you should try to get it back and part it out. Couple thousand for the motor and transaxle at the very least.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:44 AM   #8

Glad to hear your wife is fine.

If the guy has a reputable ins co, you might be surprised at what they offer you. They may be rather generous with their offer to replace the Box and pay your hospital expenses, but with the stipulation of not suing them. If your wife checks out OK and there won't be lingering health issues to deal with, why not take advantage of a good offer? The ins co would much rather give you an extra $2-5K than spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in a lawsuit.

Do your homework and figure out what the various book values are and also check classified prices (the book values will probably be higher). Make sure you have the proper ammunition with you when the negotiations begin.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #9

So after over 30 years with no major incidents, last year I had the same situation as your wife with someone making a left turn into me. My insurance pulled ads from dealerships of comparable equiped and mileage vehicles and gave me the top price of 3. It was easier to deal with my own insurance adjuster and then let them collect from the other policy then to negociate with the others. It was way more difficult to get an allocation for pain and suffering. I went to the chirocpactor for approx 3 months. it used to be 3 times medical payments. Now they offered like $1000 over actual med costs. I said no thanks and they came back with actual med costs plus $1,500 and said they wouldn't budge. And true to form they wouldn't budge from there. Since I didn't lose any "work time" there was no loss of income and only the P&S. My insurance had already covered the medical of about $5k. What I didn't know was that my insurance company (and all) are able to negociate what you pay back. So when I got the check for $6,500 from the other guys insurance (negociate in advance) my insurance company agreed to take only $3,500 of it to pay back the medical, so I netted $3k for pain and suffering instead of only the $1,500 offered by the other guys ins. Hope this helps,
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #10

Glad she had a Porsche instead of a Miata.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #11

Terri's Porsche is a 2002 so not sure if it has side airbags. Our insurance guy said we would be hearing from the lost dept on monday with a settlement offer. He explained they would come up with a value for us and how that value was reached. I told him the car was my wife's dream car she always wanted. It was her baby and she babied it. With only a few payments to go it was going in the garage and used as her weekend play toy. I hope they understand that and if not, rest assued an attorney will be contacted.
This was not my wife's fault and are the victims here. She still has pain and will be contacting her doctor on monday. We have not signed a relase for the insurance company to take the car either until a fair offer is on the table.
We shall see. :troll:

73Lifeliner is offline   Reply With Quote