Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #1

Transmission oil and filter

I have a 2007 Boxster with tiptronic transmission - 45K miles. Should the transmission filter / oil be changed periodically? The dealer indicates that the oil is lifetime and doesn't have to be changed. The manual doesn't mention anything. What is the recommendation?

Also, same question with the coolant. Lifetime?

Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #2

Porsche recommends that TIP oil, filter changed, sump pan cleaned at 90K but now they recommend it at 60K. I just did mine at 69K and the oil was very dirty. Go to Pelican Parts, they have DIY on it. DIY cost you about $200, dealer $700 and indy about $350. Most all coolant is lifetime anymore.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #3

Thanks JCB986. I thought it would have to be changed at some point.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #4

I have always changed my tranny and drive component oils every 30K miles in my cars. Both of my mechanics ( MD & ID) have always agreed with this practice. (Both of them are somewhat the "Gearhead" types.)

Even on my small fleet of 18 wheelers I changed Dino oils at 50K and Synthetic at 100K. Those were supposed to be good for 100 to 250K for the Dino and 500K to a million/life time for the synthetic.

Works for me anyway. I've owned three trucks that each went a millon miles or more that I know of and many cars that went 100K to 200K plus miles. Here is a tip I learned a long time ago. When your drive componetnts are new or newly rebuilt, change the oils at the first 1 thousand miles. Long time mechanics say it does make a differance and will extend the life expectancy.

Come to think of it, even my motorcycles get this kind of treatment and they run forever too.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote