Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

RMS - new and old

Since I'm in the process of buying a used engine for my Box, I am, of course, going to replace the RMS and IMS bearing. However, I'm wondering if there is a way to visually identify whether the bearing is the new style or the old style. In other words, if I buy an engine that has an RMS that has been replaced with the new style, I don't want to mess with replacing it. I know it's a cheap part, but it's also a part that if not correctly installed, can be a real problem.

So does anybody know if there is any way to visually identify whether or not a car has the new RMS seal (flywheel off obviously)?

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

normal cars have a number on the seal which can be seen...note i said normal cars
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #3

LOL. Yeah.

Is that the Porsche part number? If so, that would rock!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #4

I like your sig pic.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #5

the seal is cheap...so get one before you start the job,that way you can compare numbers,colors etc. if this motor sat for a while i would change it anyway
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #6

The latest design RMS is part # 997.101.212.00; this unit requires special tools, 9699 for the main tool, and 9699/2 for the insert guide. If you have access to the Sept. 2010 copy of Excellence, it has a full pictorial showing the differences in the seals and why the new tools are required.....................
Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelojkt
I like your sig pic.
heh. I didn't think anybody would notice.

I might know a guy who has that magazine JFP. I'll check. Thanks for the info!