Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Livin' a dream!

Garage
Fleeced! (?)

I'm feeling fleeced. So I bought her right at KBB for "excellent" (2001 with 42K miles). I didn't inspect it beforehand because I was over the moon about finding the color I wanted and it came as a dealer trade-in for two lexus'. Guess the guy let it all wait and passed it on.

Came back with $6k worth of work it needs:

window rollers
brake pads (3% left!)
bearing
extremely dirty filters

then all the standard 45000 issues.

any words of consolation or am I just a sucker?

:troll:

greenandtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #2

just keep writting the checks....hey its only money
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenandtan
I'm feeling fleeced. So I bought her right at KBB for "excellent" (2001 with 42K miles). I didn't inspect it beforehand because I was over the moon about finding the color I wanted and it came as a dealer trade-in for two lexus'. Guess the guy let it all wait and passed it on.

Came back with $6k worth of work it needs:

window rollers
brake pads (3% left!)
bearing
extremely dirty filters

then all the standard 45000 issues.

:troll:
Consider it payment for this (see highlight above).

Keep reminding yourself of how much you like the color combo and how it drives, and its all worth it.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #4

I don't think you have a bad car. I do think that $6000 seems high for these repairs if these are the main things wrong.

Buy the brake parts and do them yourself. Very easy job and lots of how to write ups available.

Air filter dirty is a very easy and cheap do it yourself. Oil change is also simple.

I would leave the bearing to the shop as pullers are probably necessary.

Don't know what window rollers are??

You best buy will be a manual if you are at all mecanically inclined. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing the work yourself.

No sucker here. Your new car is 10 years old.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

I guess "fleeced" would depend on what you paid for it. I would expect to spend a few grand fixing up a 10 year old Porsche and would factor that into the purchase price.

And don't think that this will be the end of it - you're just getting started. Check out RandallNeighbor's saga for some insight on the potential costs of owning an older P-car.

All worth it for the perma-grin you get from driving it. What Extanker said.

Enjoy! And show us some pics!

Mark

Last edited by Mark_T; 11-28-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #6

You're not alone. Almost all the recent "new" owners here bought theirs without being inspected or seen in person.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #7

I was compelled (not forced, mind you) to spend nearly $10k on mine when bought sight unseen. :ah:

It could have been much worse for you. My lesson was far more costly than yours.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenandtan

you are not a sucker, just someone who might have leapt before looking. with that said, do as much of the work yourself as you can.

i am learning that it is actually kind of satisfying to be driving something that i have done the majority of work on, even with the sweat and blood i have lost.

who do you trust more? you or some stranger who has 10 other cars to work on before he can go home.

save some $ for the big stuff you can not do yourself and just have fun. in a few years you will not feel like you got fleeced or that you are a sucker, you will only remember the fun you have had...
Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
You're not alone. Almost all the recent "new" owners here bought theirs without being inspected or seen in person.
Yup, I'm one of those. Bought on Ebay, sight unseen except for photos. Turns out it had a broken motor mount, needed three tires (his photo of the tires was of the one good one), and needs new CV boots plus the brake fluid flushed, all according to my "post" PPI. But I'm happy. Got if for a good price ($12.5k) and what a joy to drive. Too bad the weather is going to be crappy here for the next 8 months.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Wait! don't let the dealer fix it. All that stuff is pretty easy DIY for about $800 in parts. The only fleecing going on is the service writer who quoted $6k for repairs. Kindly thank him for his advice and get it out of there pronto!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
Livin' a dream!

Garage
Not the dealer...

Not the dealer in town. But apparently willing to charge me an arm and a leg for most of what I can do myself. Thanks!

Time to get down and dirty.
greenandtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:06 AM   #12

Similar story here. Spent 12.5k for the Boxster. $600 in repairs paid so far with another $4k pending when I get the car back from the mechanic hopefully by the end of the week. I am not surprised or upset about the repair costs, at least up to the total so far, but I really miss my car.
Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfncpa
Similar story here. Spent 12.5k for the Boxster. $600 in repairs paid so far with another $4k pending when I get the car back from the mechanic hopefully by the end of the week. I am not surprised or upset about the repair costs, at least up to the total so far, but I really miss my car.

+1

The pain is 30% money and 70% not being able to drive it!
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #14

All part of life; the hard part. PPIs are so important when buying these type of cars. It is a little money and hassle, but in the end well worth it.

Now that that part is over, if this is the worst thing that happens with the Boxster, it will be a great car. I can’t agree more with the above advice on DIY on the small things. Even if you don’t want to tackle the bigger thing, go for the filters. These type of things are easy to do and will save you a lot of money.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Track rat

Garage
Whenever I buy a used vehicle I change all the fluids and filters unless I can confirm it was done recently. This is normal preventative maintenance and establishes a baseline moving forward. If the brakes are pretty far along I would also change the pads and rotors. Other maintenance items such as belts, tires, spark plugs will be inspected and changed as needed. All of this can be done DIY with simple mechanical knowledge, basic tools, and a Bentley manual. This method has served me well in owning nearly 100 vehicles in my lifetime.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #16

I paid $15,700 for my one owner 2000 S. NO PPI here either. I went to South Florida to personally inspect the car. Extremely nice and all original...no mods. Had to have red interior. After inspection and driving the car, I knew I would be spending about $2 and that's for a full 60K maintenance, new tires and replacing all 4 rotors and pads and servicing the the TIP. DIY everything except the tires.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #17

if your motor blows it will cost as much as you paid for the car to fix. you will spend thousands keeping this car up. just the reality. these are basically disposable cars not made to be driven past the warranty. only for those with disposable incomes to throw at them. that's just the way it is....
02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #18

02box, your comment is true for owners of 97's like me, but not for 2007+ owners. Their cars are worth far more than a $12k motor swap.

Conversely, I met a guy with a 2000 base model this morning at the dealership (I was getting a tech check for the De this weekend).

He said he's put 50k on the car since new ten years ago driving it weekends and pretty cool days here in Houston (of which there are about 20 a year) and has never done a thing to it except change the oil annually and the brake pads once during that time.

He was at the dealership because he put a new battery in the car over the weekend and the top cycle got off somehow. The dealer fiddled with it and fixed it in the drive bay.

We all need to hear stories like this from time to time to balance out the horror stories.

BTW, my car has run like a top and been totally repair free for two years now. Of course, I replaced just about every single part on the car except the passenger radiator and the body work, but I'm just sayin'...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #19

I agree. but this thread is about a 2001. mine was a 2002. biggest waste of money I've ever had. I wish I had found this site before I bought my car. my opinion is, if you can't afford one that is under warranty you cetainly can't afford one that isn't.
02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #20

"disposable cars not made to be driven past the warranty"??? ???

02, you're so full of it. I'll bet your eyes are brown. So you got a lemon - big deal, that doesn't mean that all Porsches are. Every manufacturer has their share of lemons right off the assembly line. If you're going to be that bitter then you should just buy a bus pass and forego car ownership all together.

These are very special cars, and it takes a certain kind of person to own, operate, and appreciate them. We spend bucket loads of money on our cars because it is our hobby and our passion. I don't begrudge a nickel of what I have spent on mine, and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Brucelee; 12-01-2010 at 04:02 AM. Reason: language
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote