Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #1

Replacement Engine

I have recently thought about a trade up to a newer Boxtser (my current 986 is an '01 with 37k original miles) but was also thinking about keeping it and putting a more powerful engine in it. Any thoughts? And what is the most powerful engine that can be installed? Appreciate all input. Thanks.

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #2

My Direction

I have an "01 S at 27,000miles and am taking the option of upgrading the original 3.2 liter engine to 3.6 liter this winter...started the thought process wanting more reliability as first priority (therefore improving on the known culprits talked about in this forum), then more performance as a second priority. I really enjoy the car even as it is now...also tended toward not wanting to change too much else in the car (primarily the computer and control software).
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #3

Power is really only limited by the size of your wallet.

A few "affordable" options:

1) supercharge your current engine -- call TPC in Maryland.

2) drop in a 911 X51 engine -- this isn't as simple as it sounds as intake system and engine computer will need mods; you need an experienced shop/tuner for this.

3) call Jake Raby and ask about one of his big bore rebuilds -- this will probably be the most reliable route to more power and should be cheaper than #2.

Sounds like a fun project, so good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
I have recently thought about a trade up to a newer Boxtser (my current 986 is an '01 with 37k original miles) but was also thinking about keeping it and putting a more powerful engine in it. Any thoughts? And what is the most powerful engine that can be installed? Appreciate all input. Thanks.
Flat 6 (aka Jake Raby) has a 4.0 liter motor for the one who has "deep pockets and big balls"...love the slogan actually...take a look at his website.

I've never seen a larger motor for a boxster than that.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #5

thanks everyone for your feedback. Does anyone have the Jake Raby link that gives info on the 4.0 liter upgrade? I went to flat 6 innovations site and could not find anything
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #6

Jake has posted about it

All I recall is he has a handle on which blocks he can do the 4.0 to, they cost $24k or so, and the warranty is not like on a smaller displacement upsize he does. Custom built. Not your block probably. But huge power at usable RPMs.

So if those ideas don't put you off, call him as he is always looking for folks willing to stretch the boundaries.

ah...use search here. Search for "4.0". Look at the thread about 3.9s. About the fifth reply in that thread Jake starts describing 450HP.....

Last edited by mikefocke; 11-21-2010 at 09:45 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #7

Yes, but the link states that the 4.0 is not street legal...why might I ask?

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote