Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #1

Cayman R announced

Anyone look at this yet? It's basically Porsche's effort to re-work the Cayman in a similar way as the Boxster Spyder. I've had my eye on it for a while. I am strangely disappointed though. Not sure, maybe it was the color in the brouchure...

Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #2

agreed, by far not as radical as the Boxster Spyder
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #3

You have to like the fact that Porsche is ditching PASM on this and the Spyder... speaks volumes about options that you don't need to pay for.

But yes this doesn't have the same allure as the Spyder... you almost feel it's the marketing department that have decided to build this.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #4

Actually, I think a lot of thought went into the advertising campaign. You don't just pick such a lousy color by accident. I agree that this came from the marketing department, and if you look out front you'll see that they all drive VW Bugs, and they each have a plastic flower in the little vase on the dash.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Actually, I think a lot of thought went into the advertising campaign. You don't just pick such a lousy color by accident. I agree that this came from the marketing department, and if you look out front you'll see that they all drive VW Bugs, and they each have a plastic flower in the little vase on the dash.
i recall my first trip to a po dealer and saying something about the godawful colors inside and out. one inside color is/was what i call vomitriggatoni. the dealer said its the most popular
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
JTP

As much as I love the GT3 and Carrera RS models their neon color schemes are just plain awful. Fact is though Porsche often sets the standard for sports car design and style evident by other manufacturers copying Porsche, even when it's ugly as sin.

But I really like the Cayman R. Just picture it in silver or black. Even white would be beautiful. The Cayman S is already one of the best handling cars, I wonder how this will do in comparison. If only they went alittle further and built a Cayman GT3. Now that would have been something.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #7

I think the color is very cool. Of course I don't usually hang with the crowd. I am a 45 year old man, husband to a beautiful wife, and father of two teenage boys, and I just happen to drive a "reflex yellow" beetle, albiet slightly modified. If I could afford to buy this Cayman R I would in a heartbeat. Instead I will settle for an older 986S which will get me back in a rear wheel drive car, which just happens to be the only part about my NB that bothers me.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
But I really like the Cayman R. Just picture it in silver or black. Even white would be beautiful. The Cayman S is already one of the best handling cars, I wonder how this will do in comparison. If only they went alittle further and built a Cayman GT3. Now that would have been something.

But I can't picture it in any other color. As soon as I try - all I see is snot green...

I suspect with the suspesion changes that the Cayman R will be among the best handling cars in the world. But, the chassis on the Cayman S was already better than the engine.

I may yet buy a Cayman as my next car. I don't feel like the R is a must have.

/
Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #9

It is kind of ugly, but thats what I kind of like about it... Although I understand it saves weight and all, but I dont now how I feel about not having a radio in it.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #10

Went to the inactive site thing and they offer it in 6 colors..
Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #11

Garage
I like it. looks pretty sweet hope its better than a boxster spyder because I may just get one.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote