Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

CV Joint fell off!

My 98 has been sitting for the last 2 months. I go out and start it, but have been unable to drive it. (i recently had shoulder surgery and have my arm in a sling.) Couple days ago, i finally get a chance to take her out and back out of the drive way, drive down the road, stop, wait to turn left, as i let my foot off the clutch and begin my left turn i hear a thump. I stop and coast backwards to get out of the way of oncoming traffic and hear the clunk clunk clunk of my axel hitting the under carriage. i do what i can to peak up under there and see the axel/driveshaft has separated from the differential. The cv joint is not all beat to hell, but the odd part is the allen bolts that hold the axel to the diff are still in the cv joint.

I never felt any vibration leading up to it. Everything was fine, then clunk. Its like while i was stopped at the intersection someone got down there and took all the bolts out and left it hanging there. I havnt been able to get under there yet to see whats going on, i only have a left hand right now...but i was wondering if its happened to anyone else. Hear what you all think. Ive talked to a few other mechanics and porsche guys and we are all scratching our heads.

Thanx

Last edited by elmorm; 09-29-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: better title
elmorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #2

this is actually very common. the torque on the passenger side countertightens the bolts.

when they are re-installed, they are supposed to get loctite, new bolts, & proper torque. whenever the halfshaft was out of the car, someone neglected to follow the instructions.

when they let go, it's very sudden, just like you describe.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #3

didnt you just do a clutch on this car ? think there could be a connection ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

i know there's got to be a connection to the fact that i did a clutch a few months back. What bugs me is that i put on like 2500 miles after that. Never felt anything that would suggest there was a problem. What i did NOT do is get new bolts. I read a thread on Renntech about those bolts stretching when you torque em down so need to replace em. I guess i could see that. I am concerned about putting it all back together and it happening again.

So, go for new bolts, lock tite, and torque em down. Of course ill have to rebuild the cv joint..it got a lil beat up.

Thanx
Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorm
i know there's got to be a connection to the fact that i did a clutch a few months back. What bugs me is that i put on like 2500 miles after that. Never felt anything that would suggest there was a problem. What i did NOT do is get new bolts. I read a thread on Renntech about those bolts stretching when you torque em down so need to replace em. I guess i could see that. I am concerned about putting it all back together and it happening again.

it usually does take a couple of months for them to come undone. the replacement of the bolts isn't THAT important here; the important thing is that you clean the bolts AND the flange holes with brake cleaner to remove all traces of road goo & CV grease prior to application of RED loctite & torque to factory spec.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
kpm

I had all 4 CV boots replaced in April and now I see the left rear wheel has a ring of grease on the inside lip. Guess I'll be under it this weekend.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #7

i got a buddy of mine to come help me out and we have taken a look. Luckily it doesnt seem i have stripped or broken anything. The cv joint even feel pretty good except the brass dust cover it dented. Replace? Porsche service wasnt much help, they wanted to see it. Yeah fat chance.

There is a bunch of "road goo" and oil down there. Thats not the first time. I actually replaced that axel once before 5 or 6 years ago after seeing oil coming from that area. im going to do as recommended and clean everything, put what i have back up and see how she runs. I may be back, but I need my car so im crossing my fingers.

Thanx all.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #8

i`m not clear .....did the flange bolts back out or did the shaft pull apart ?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
i`m not clear .....did the flange bolts back out or did the shaft pull apart ?
The CV joint bolts came loose and the axle got disconnected, suddenly you are pushing the gas without going anywhere with the tach going upwards...!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
The CV joint bolts came loose and the axle got disconnected, suddenly you are pushing the gas without going anywhere with the tach going upwards...!
his first post says the allen bolts are in the flange
Old 10-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm
I had all 4 CV boots replaced in April and now I see the left rear wheel has a ring of grease on the inside lip. Guess I'll be under it this weekend.

Could you post a picture of the grease ring or describe it in detail?

I see a tiny bit of dark dried up liquid on the outside of my wheels and I don't know if it was from water on the ground + dirt, if it's oil. I'll smell it next time I go out to my car.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #12

back on the road

Almost all the bolts holding the cv joint to the differential were either bent or broken. Looks like they had backed out and the axel finally popped out and ripped the bolts out of there. I had to tap three of the holes because of damaged threads. I repacked the cv joint and took a body hammer to the dust cap. Cleaned up as much oil and grease as possible including brake cleaner in the threads with a que tip. Loc tite and tightened it all up with new bolts. Seems like all is well. No knocks howls or anything so I think I'm good to go. Ill just have to check em periodiclly.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow
Could you post a picture of the grease ring or describe it in detail?
I'll try to get a picture tonight. It's about an inch and a half from the inside lip almost directly under the rear ball joint. I will have to pull the wheel and see what (and where) the grease is from.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #14

That grease ring was under the car. I had to take off the skid plate to see it. It was pretty much a semi-circle directly above the cv joint, following that same line towards the front of the car and that back. covered the exhaust and the heat shield. But keep in mind, mine was an inner cv joint. if you have an issue with the outter, you may see grease and such on the inside of the wheel. especially since most of our wheels are wicked off set and sit way inside the wheel well. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #15

Wired

So after all was said on done putting new bolts in, i went back a couple weeks later and had to tighten them again. Today, i went back and 4 had backed themselves all the way out and the remaining two were loose. Lucky today i had time to look at it. So i bought new bolts and took em to a machinist i know to drill holes in the heads. I ran a wire through the head of the bolt and into the next one and twisted em tight together. Shouldnt go anywhere now. But i tell you, what a pain in the butt. Hope to never have to deal with that again.