Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

2 options

Some of you may have seen my post from a couple of weeks ago about my engine failing. For those who haven't, the engine died and main or rod bearing material was found in the oil. After a lot of research, I've come to the conclusion that I really only have 2 options: I can rebuild the motor myself, or I can replace the motor with a used engine.

I've got a couple of questions that I'd like opinions on.....

1) If I rebuild the motor, is it possible to regrind/polish the crank (I assume it is damaged), and get the appropriate bearings for a reground crank? I haven't seen any discussions of having this done anywhere, so I'm guessing that either this is an oddball failure, or it cannot be done.

2) Has anybody installed a used engine and had a good experience with it? If so, where did you get it? I've seen some positive stuff about Ok Foreign and Silver Star. For any others (listed on Mike Focke's page: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/what-can-you-do-if-your-engine-is-blown) I've either only seen negative or not found any comments at all. I'll admit that I didn't spend a ton of time searching though.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, I've talked to Jake, and although I'd love to go with one of his motors, or even one of his CPO motors, I just can't afford it. Actually, I can't afford either of the above solutions, but I have to do something to get the car running again, and those are the only two viable options.

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 11-18-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #2

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that whichever way I go, I will be installing a IMS Retrofit from LN Engineering.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

How do you know

that the material is rod or main bearing material?

If the bearing is the problem, it could also have damaged the material it rests on I presume. So you may have a damaged block. And do you have access to someone who specializes in the internals of Porsche motors.

I've seen many messages on various forums from people who had installed used engines successfully. And some from people who had awful experiences.

The problem you will always face is that to reduce risk costs. Just as Jake's completely rebuilt motor costs more than his cpo because it addresses more problems, so down the chain a motor with just the LN bearing addresses one problem but may have one of the other weaknesses or had problems when you got it. And a motor with a guarantee will often cost more.

That old reducing risks costs thing again.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
How do you know that the material is rod or main bearing material?

If the bearing is the problem, it could also have damaged the material it rests on I presume. So you may have a damaged block. And do you have access to someone who specializes in the internals of Porsche motors.
Shop said the material is copper. I believe (based on comments I saw from Jake somewhere) that copper is only used in the main and rod bearings.

I don't think it's likely that the block could have gotten damaged by the failed bearings. I would guess that the damage would be between the bearing and what is moving across it (the crank). Of course, if the bearing material floated around the engine, that's another story.

There are a few Porsche shops around, but I don't think any of them do stuff like grinding cranks. But maybe I should find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
The problem you will always face is that to reduce risk costs. Just as Jake's completely rebuilt motor costs more than his cpo because it addresses more problems, so down the chain a motor with just the LN bearing addresses one problem but may have one of the other weaknesses or had problems when you got it. And a motor with a guarantee will often cost more.

That old reducing risks costs thing again.
Yup. But at the same time, it's the old "need to do something cheap so I can drive the car" thing. I wish I could go with a lower risk solution, but no way. If I could sell the car and keep making payments on it until it was paid off, I'd do that in a heartbeat, but nobody's gonna buy a car they wouldn't have title to.

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 11-18-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #5

Mike, a fellow Chicago PCA member had the same failure you've experienced whilst tracking his Boxster 2.7...oil starvation was the problem.

If you PM me, I can give you the particulars.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #6

Garage
another option may be mike, is to keep your eyes open for a theft recovery or a crash donor vehicle, which you can drop the engine out of, run through the engine yourself and sell off the resaleable parts, that is of course if you have the space to part out another vehicle.

just a thought.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

I replaced my engine last year and was lucky enough to find a low mileage engine on eBay. For me the experience was very positive and saved me about $8k from having to buy a reconditioned engine from Porsche. And yes I did the LN IMS retrofit and X51 oil pan.

It purrs like a kitten now.

Just do your research, ask a lot of questions and make sure you have a good comfort level with the person you are buying the engine from.

Good luck
Old 11-21-2010, 04:31 AM   #8

Garage
Mike,

perhaps you should talk with alex here .... http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26939

cc'd to your pm's

2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote