Thread: 2 options
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Mike_Yi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
How do you know that the material is rod or main bearing material?

If the bearing is the problem, it could also have damaged the material it rests on I presume. So you may have a damaged block. And do you have access to someone who specializes in the internals of Porsche motors.
Shop said the material is copper. I believe (based on comments I saw from Jake somewhere) that copper is only used in the main and rod bearings.

I don't think it's likely that the block could have gotten damaged by the failed bearings. I would guess that the damage would be between the bearing and what is moving across it (the crank). Of course, if the bearing material floated around the engine, that's another story.

There are a few Porsche shops around, but I don't think any of them do stuff like grinding cranks. But maybe I should find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
The problem you will always face is that to reduce risk costs. Just as Jake's completely rebuilt motor costs more than his cpo because it addresses more problems, so down the chain a motor with just the LN bearing addresses one problem but may have one of the other weaknesses or had problems when you got it. And a motor with a guarantee will often cost more.

That old reducing risks costs thing again.
Yup. But at the same time, it's the old "need to do something cheap so I can drive the car" thing. I wish I could go with a lower risk solution, but no way. If I could sell the car and keep making payments on it until it was paid off, I'd do that in a heartbeat, but nobody's gonna buy a car they wouldn't have title to.

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 11-18-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote