Thread: 2 options
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Mike_Yi

2 options

Some of you may have seen my post from a couple of weeks ago about my engine failing. For those who haven't, the engine died and main or rod bearing material was found in the oil. After a lot of research, I've come to the conclusion that I really only have 2 options: I can rebuild the motor myself, or I can replace the motor with a used engine.

I've got a couple of questions that I'd like opinions on.....

1) If I rebuild the motor, is it possible to regrind/polish the crank (I assume it is damaged), and get the appropriate bearings for a reground crank? I haven't seen any discussions of having this done anywhere, so I'm guessing that either this is an oddball failure, or it cannot be done.

2) Has anybody installed a used engine and had a good experience with it? If so, where did you get it? I've seen some positive stuff about Ok Foreign and Silver Star. For any others (listed on Mike Focke's page: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/what-can-you-do-if-your-engine-is-blown) I've either only seen negative or not found any comments at all. I'll admit that I didn't spend a ton of time searching though.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, I've talked to Jake, and although I'd love to go with one of his motors, or even one of his CPO motors, I just can't afford it. Actually, I can't afford either of the above solutions, but I have to do something to get the car running again, and those are the only two viable options.

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 11-18-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote