Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

P1341

I got a check engine light yesterday and the error code is P1341. Hunting around with Google I found this info from Loren on the Rentech forums:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/26617-p1341-what-could-this-be/page__p__153806__hl__p1341__fromsearch__1&#entry153806

P1341 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1 – Below Limit

Potential causes:
– Short to ground
– Actuator faulty
– Open circuit in triggering wire
– Open circuit in B+ supply

From what I have read, the problem doesn't seem to be a big deal and I don't think it hurts to continue driving the car. Tell me if I am wrong! So I cleared the code and drove it around a bit yesterday and the check engine light didn't come back on.

Looking closer at the thread on Rentech and specifically the OP's problem: "Boxster 2000, 2.7 Manual. Slight stutter while pressing on the accelerator in 2nd gear turn (regular, not agressive) CIL goes on. OBD reports P1341"

I realized I have had the same problem. When in 2nd gear and out of automatic mode (I have a 2000 tiptronic 2.7L) it feels like 2nd gear is actually 2 gears. Purposefully trying to drive to experience that problem this morning, I determined that when it hits about 2500 RPMs in 2nd there is a pause and the RPM drops to about 2300. Then it is like it is in a new gear and takes off to as many RPMs as I want to push it to. While driving to figure that out, I tested it probably 15 times. Once or twice out of the 15 it didn't have the problem. Putting it in automatic mode and driving "normally", the car shifts to 3rd gear before the RPMs get to 2500 so the problem doesn't happen. Stepping on it while still in automatic mode, maybe once or twice out of about 10 times did the problem happen. The other times it accelerated through the RPMs just fine. I had an errand to run so I put it back in manual shift mode. Again, the pause in 2nd happened and this time the check engine light came on. I checked the error code when I got home and it was again P1341.

I have found some info on further diagnosing / fixing the problem and it doesn't sound like this will be major. I'm not competent to even change the oil, however, so I'll need help. How urgent is it to get this fixed? I drive about 50 miles per day commuting to work. If not urgent, how much difficulty would it be to fix for someone with at least some mechanical skill? (friend returning from Europe in 3 weeks). If too difficult, should I take it to the Porshe dealer to fix or would an independent be ok? Any guesses on repair cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice / answers!

Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #2

If the code is 1341, you have a cam out of "allocation" (not in the correct timing); question becomes why is it out of time..............could be the position sensor or the VarioCam unit, or the car could have jumped time. This needs more investigation, and I would not be driving it until you find out why as this could be the start of something much worse...........
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #3

I think the problem has been happening since i bought the car 6 weeks ago. I guess I'll try to get it fixed at the dealer so i can get a loaner to get to work. I am afraid this is something they cud easily overcharge me big time on, though.

Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote