Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #1

Chip Mod

I am sure this has been discussed, but I cannot seem to find it with a search.

I have an '01 box and asked my local Porsche mechanic about Mods he had done on them. He said the best was sending "the chip out to be reprogrammed". I was thinking about new shifters and was surprised at his response. Have any of y'all done this and what type of results should one expect.

Again, sorry if this is a repost.

Regards,

Chris

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #2

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2527
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:51 AM   #3

Many thanks. I knew the answer was there somewhere.
Chris
Old 05-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #4

I hope you read the thread that Clubhead posted on ECU mods.

Now to answer your question on shifters:

If you are talking about the knob, I upgraded mine to a 2002's 996 5 speed knob and the interior looks far more like a late model S than a 97 non S with that crappy old shifter knob.

The short-shift kits for sale from B&M and Schnell (see ad above for discounts on this one) are something I am looking into as well, but my transmission is already notchy when cold and a short shifter just makes it harder to shift ... albeit shorter throws between gears. It's a toss up for me and something I probably will do dead last after a new stereo head unit, litronics, side markers, tail lamps, speedster humps, and I'll probably need new tires around that time. But a short shifter is on the list... just at the very end.

Others with newer boxsters and smoother shifters may offer different advice or tell you they absolutely wouldn't drive a boxster without the short shifter kit installed.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #5

Hey Randall -

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was talking about the short shifters. The transmission is a little notchy in the winter but not bad enough that it is a problem. I am with you on the stereo. Problem is I thought my car was under warranty and my stereo died. I had Porshe replace it with the stock unit and found out my carfax was wrong on the warranty and had missed the date by 4 weeks. Oh was I pissed when presented with a $500 bill for a new Porsche stereo that I really reallly hate. Problem now is I cannot bring myself to replace it again. Looks like it is going to be short shift kits for now. or perhaps save my money and trade-up to an 'o5 next year.

Chris
Old 05-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #6

I have had several Boxes with the SS kit. Great mod in my opinion.

And the deal our sponsor is having is pretty darn good too!

Best of luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote