Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #1

Rear Wheel Bearing replacement questions

Hi,

I'm planning to tackle my rear wheel bearing this weekend and I have some questions:

I'm following instructions on renntech: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/16729-rear-wheel-bearing-102/page__p__83721

1. Wheel hub, is it held in place only by axle nut? Do I have to undo something to take it out?
2. Ball Joint ... I have no idea what it is, where it is and how to use Ball joint separator.. . Any pointers there?
3. Pulling the axle, Seafeye talk about "a couple of whacks and the whole wheel carrier is able to move freely". What should I "whack"? is it hit the axle and expect it to go in or wheel carrier from the inside and expect it to go out?

I know it's going to be easier to just drop it at the mechanic and 700$ later it will be all good.. However I want to do it myself, it's cheaper and more fun, I really like to work on my car (it's new for me, I never even saw an engine before I bought the Boxster) and in case my other bearings go out I'll be prepared.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

this thread shows a ball joint tool in action.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/11407-rear-suspension/page__p__79915__hl__%2Bball+%2Bjoint__fromsearch__ 1#entry79915

1. after you remove the big nut, the hub is held by the bearing. look through the procedure and you can see where it is pressed out, destroying the bearing in the process.

2. there are a couple of ball joints in the rear suspension. you only have to separate the one he shows in the pictures.

3. I hit the end of the axle with a brass hammer.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #3

Here's an article from Pelican Parts on DYI....

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/40-TRANS-Wheel_Bearings/40-TRANS-Wheel_Bearings.htm

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #4

I did my rear bearings earlier this year with the hub carriers still on the car. You just need a tool known as the SIR wheel bearing kit. Much less work than what you have planned.

Here is my write up and pictures: http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=22358&highlight=Boxster+wheel+bearing
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #5

the rears are kind of a pain without the in-car bearing puller set. without it, you'll need to pull off the entire wheel carrier and use a press.

if you need the puller set, you can rent it from me.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #6

Thanks for all the advise!

I have the SIR Bearing Puller I borrowed it from a coworker, however it doesn't have HUB Puller so I'm going to use generic HUB Puller.
I was asking about HUB because with full SIR set you pull the HUB after the axle is out.. with generic puller I'll have to pull the HUB before I take the axle out since it's the 3 legged one that had a bolt pushing on axle.

Thanks
Sasha
Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #7

Sasha,

Before you start disassembling anything, be sure that you have ALL the tools that you MAY need, because it's very frustrating to get stuck on the middle of a repair by not having the right tools or the correct spare parts, ask me how I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055

I have the SIR Bearing Puller I borrowed it from a coworker, however it doesn't have HUB Puller so I'm going to use generic HUB Puller.
I was asking about HUB because with full SIR set you pull the HUB after the axle is out.. with generic puller I'll have to pull the HUB before I take the axle out since it's the 3 legged one that had a bolt pushing on axle.

Thanks
Sasha
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks
Sasha
Actually, the SIR kit can pull the hub. You just use only the small nut on the backside of the hub.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #9

One more question.. how do I get the ineer side of bearing off the hub?
After I get the hub out, bearing will break.. how should I get it off the hub?

Thanks
Sasha
Old 11-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
One more question.. how do I get the ineer side of bearing off the hub?
After I get the hub out, bearing will break.. how should I get it off the hub?

Thanks
Sasha
i usually use a press. since it sounds like you don't have one, i'd place a metal block over the hole in the hub and use a standard puller.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #11

You can also dremel 90% of the way through it and then use a chisel to crack the last bit and expand the race so it slips off the hub.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #12

One more question, can I grease the bearing? It seems that it would go easier if it's greased.. is it a wise thing to do?

Thanks
Sasha
Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #13

Definite +1 pn checking for all the tools... the tool that I got is missing round insert that fits inner side of bearing...

Does anyone have a SIR tool for sale? I'd like complete one with the hub puller.

Or is anyone near seattle that can rent me a tool?

Thanks
Sasha