Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #1

Smile Starting My Search for a Boxster

Well, the time has come and I'm officially looking for a used Boxster now. I'm trying to be patient, look around, find the deal that is right for me but the urge is getting great...!

I'm open to any advice you good people have to offer. My leaning is towards a car with some factory warranty left and, probably, a tiptronic. I know the tip isn't as quick, but I'm also lazy at times too. Added to that I have a 34" inseam and I have to hook my knee to get to the clutch, I can drive a stick ok, concerned about longer trips though.

I'm located in the Boston area, there seem to be a wie assortment of cars around but, as ever, the differences can be perplexing. an 03 for less than an 01, practically no tiptronics, on dealer has a similar CPO car for $8k more than another, very odd.

I'm tempted towards the private market, seems you can sometimes get the extras, hardtop etc and still beat a dealer price. I assume a good PPI would be the way to go then an after market warranty for another 4 years maybe.

I've read lots of faq guides but hey, anything I need to know? Feel free to tell me. Oh, I'm not too bothered about an S, I think, I just don't see myself driving much faster than a base will go, or not often anyway!

Chris.

ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #2

Hi, UkChris, I'm in the market for another boxster too. I just sold my beloved 97 boxster last week, and started looking for 2000 + boxster possible boxster S. I guess it's a buyer's market now, if u go on autotrader, there are tons of boxster for sale, I'm going for private parties b/c of price, but I know the site owner Bruce Lee have excellent deals too. I too dont care for S, I dont drive fast and just need a weekend car for crusing. Anyhow good luck and if ya come across good deals please email me and I'll do the same. Tony
tdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:59 AM   #3

Hi Tony. I'm doing the same at the moment, AutoTraderand cars.com etc. I've driven some CPO cars which were nice but real premium prices so I'm looking private for now. Prices seem to vary wildly but I'm sure "the car" is out there waiting for me.

Looking for a tiptronic makes things a little harder though, I know they aren't as popular but there are also far few of them around out it balances out in that respect.

I favor the tip but would also take a stick, if the right car came along.

Do you have color/spec preferences you're looking for? I assume you've been through the classifieds in all the usual places.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:47 AM   #4

It's good for a couple of you to connect. I was trading car leads with another seeker and the two of us could see more than me looking by myself. I would also suggest you hook up with a local used car dealer as they have access to the weekly lists from the auctions - as long as you know exactly what you want. My dealer would have let me go to the auction in his name. Perfectly good cars are off'd by Porsche Credit - almost all with some warranty left. I was lucky to find mine in CT which had been auctioned in NY and resided in PA.

Maritime Chevy in S Norwalk had a good buy on a S-Tip. It'd probably be 'well' priced if they still have it.

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #5

Talking

I am biased of course, but if it were me, I would try to buy a used box from the Southwest USA. No snow, sand, salt and minimal rain. Additionally, we don't have those potholes that swallow a box whole!

There are many things to look for in buying a used Box and if you do a search here you will find some excellent advice.

Last comment, if you want a tip, hold out for a tip. Also, if you buy a Tip, personally I would buy an S.

I have driven both and they really are different cars. Moreover, the S is much easier to re-sell.

Best of luck to both of you!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #6

Thanks Bruce, I actually mailed you also to see if you sell this side of the country or not.

I think the S interestes me for desirability, I'm not sure I need the performance but hey, it's not like you have to use it, all the time anyway. I'm also checking around some of the little local dealers in case I can find a gem.

Boxsters seem like the kind of car that are often pampered, and finding such a car would be ideal, if I can maintain the patience and take my time in looking.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:43 AM   #7

my advice: try to get one that still has some warranty left. Before the warranty runs out go to warrantydirect.com and invest in an extended warranty, some think its a waste but for a one time fee of $1500-$2K I say what the hell. Make sure you have full service records. Have it checked out by your local Porsche dealer from top to bottom so you can find any problems before the warranty quits.
Check to see if your state has lemon laws like here in New Jersey where dealers are mandated to cover the powertrain for six months from the date of purchase.
It might be worth a trip down here.

Look for a Boxster low low miles, GOOD PAINT, the options you want like HID lights(aka Litronics), wheels etc. THese items are expensive to add later and you don't want to pay for them new if you don't have to.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:45 AM   #8

I just got one, and was searching the private and non porsche dealer market for a while, with little success at finding a quality car. I ended up buying one from a porsche dealer 99 with 23K miles on it, as it was a trade in on a new 997 and was used only as a cottage car.

The price was significantly more, but I got brand new tires, brand new rims, and most importantly for me I got the 2 year warranty from Porsche which basically covers everything a new car warranty does, including RMS, air conditioning, all electrical motors, etc.

I think the warranty was a big selling feature, even though I probably paid 3-4K over what I could have got it privately but hey, it was pastel yellow and that was the colour I was after, and for some reason it is extrememly hard to find.

When shopping private be careful as if you buy the wrong car you may be in for some hefty repairs.

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:54 AM   #9

I value the warranty and it is tempting me towards CPO somewhat but have also been looking at Warranty Direct. They look like a good outfit but I do find their pricing a little odd.

For example, I requested quotes on an 01 and an 03, the price was within $200 even though the 03 has nearly two years of factory warranty left. I asked if the 4 years I buy would start after my factory warranty ran out, they said no, it starts from the date of purchase.

Seems a little odd in that case as I'd only really be getting two years of cover, I'm sure while it was covered by Porsche they'd want me to have them cover repairs. They argue it's cheaper to buy it sooner before rates go up, car gets older etc, it doesn't seem to make that much difference though in reality.

Chris.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #10

My 97 was a tip too, and I loved, I do get tease from time to time for drive a porsche with auto. I've test drove 05 base and 00 S last week in stick, both are very fast and fun, but i think tip still better for me. But it's not on top of my concern I can settle for tip or stick as long as the car is in right condition. My ideal color would be artic silver, or white exterior, light grey, or red interior with grey top. I have liptonic and 18in carrera ready to go. It has to have heated seats and full service record unless it's under cpo warranty. I've been looking everywhere and found most of deals are in SF or FL. I did found a 00 S with 57k miles and they wanted 26000 in good condition.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:02 PM   #11
PSP

cars.com can be very handy also. It lists cars from a myriad of sources and you can tell it how far you're willing to travel.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #12

Opinion on a 2000 Base

I just drove a 2000 Base CPO car with 12,500 miles. Lapis blue, tan interior, looks in great shape. The fromt is all covered with those transparent protector sheets. There are a couple of small stonechips round the rear wheel arch and a few scuffs on the right rear as though someone tried to sit on it, they look as if they'd polish out. One of the chips is through the paint but is smaller than a pea.

Not much by way of options, rear screen and traction control. Dealer is asking $26,500 as a CPO with 2 yr warranty, what do you think?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:58 PM   #13

For me the CPO is priceless...

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #14

I agree, but when I see an 03 for around $29k with nearly 2 years warrantly on it I start to wonder. Then if I consider say an 02 plus an after market 4yr warranty for about $2.5k

I hate shopping for cars. I wish I didn't like the darned things so much! )
Old 05-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #15

Carmax.com

Here's what I believe...

Most dealerships put forth a diligent effort to screw you in every which way possible. That's why I avoid those. And my experience working at dealerships doesn’t instill much confidence in the cars themselves.

Private sellers can be shady too sometimes. But if you get lucky, you can probably find a deal there.

Ultimately, I like Carmax.com. I trust them and their cars. They deliver (so you can buy from the dryer/safer climates). No one else generally offers a money-back guarantee like they do. They don't sell cars that have been majorly damaged. I have not personally met a person that has been displeased with them (I put little trust in “well ‘my friend’ went there and…” stories). You may not find the cheapest deal, but you know you're getting an exceptional car.

Here's an added bonus, sign up for an inventory alart. They'll email you any time a certain car (with certain options/colors/mileage) arrives on any of their lots. Let them do the searching for you.

(at the time of this post, carmax.com had 2 tiptronics listed)
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #16

dude Silver all the way! (hides those chipping issues better than dark colours).
Old 05-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #17

Yeah but doesn't everyone have silver... even my wife's Sienna is silver..! ;o)
Old 05-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #18

I got an '01 Black "S" with 26.5K miles a few months ago from a broker in the DC area. It was a good deal and a good experience and plan on using him again for my '05 in a couple of years as well as for some kind of sedan. I paid $28,400 the only problem I have had was a bad radio.

My only advise is to spend the money on a "S" and go with the 6-speed. The Tip works great but you must have a manual if you want to really drive these cards.

Good luck. This is the best thing I have bought (unless you count an engagement ring) in my life.

Chris
hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukchris
Yeah but doesn't everyone have silver... even my wife's Sienna is silver..! ;o)
Yeah but not everyone has a Porsche Boxster!
At night it looks great. At high noon when many black and dark colored cars show their flawes(swirls) Silver glimmers in the Sun. It can be dirty and still look kinda ok with just a quick wipe of damp waffle weave towel.
yes its the most common... err popular color, but Silver is classic Porsche!

Old 05-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #20

Thumbs up

i agree with perfectlap, silver is an awsome color for boxster, I get many comments and thumbs up from ppl. As far as S go, I really don't think I'll benefit from it, but hey, if the right deals comes, sure why not. I've miss my boxster terriblely since I sold it, and it's only been 5 days. There are alot of deals and I'm sure with patient and some work, ukchris and I can find the perfect boxster.