Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Salt Lake City recommendation.

I am flying in this Friday Oct 29th to pick up a 04 Boxster S Anniv ed.
20,000 miles on her. Had a PPI done with no problems or leaks.
I do need an oil & filter change before driving back to Oregon, 830 miles.
Dealers are closed or to busy to do it.

Anyone know a local guy that works really early Sat AM to do a quick oil change?

I am also bringing and air filter and a belt that I was hoping to do Friday night in the hotel garage.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #2

if you're up for changing the belt and filter yourself, might as well consider doing the oil yourself. changing the oil is easier IMO than the belt. pick up the filter & crush ring before you fly out, when you get there get a set of rhino ramps, oil and wrench from the local autozone or other parts place ( or wal-mart if you're so inclined ) then take the oil to be recycled and tell them to keep the container. offer to let them have the ramps back, or they should fit in the frunk i think.

last option could be to just take the filter, oil and crush ring to a local jiffy-oil place and stand right there while they do it. (not my first choice for sure)
Old 10-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Carnut

I wish I could help since I have a very good go with the local dealership (Dave Strong Porsche) but they don't do service on Saturdays.....

With only 20,000 mls I guess you don't need to change the belt or even the airfilter, before doing this in the Hotel garage I just check if all is ok. Oilchange, there are countless places around to do this on Saturday a.m. but as mentioned earlier you want to stand right next to your new ride when they do it.

I won't be in SLC Saturday otherwise I would meet you, problem is that I am in Shanghai right now....

Good Luck and grats on the new ride!

Later,
Andy
Old 10-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jditom
I am flying in this Friday Oct 29th to pick up a 04 Boxster S Anniv ed.
20,000 miles on her. Had a PPI done with no problems or leaks.
I do need an oil & filter change before driving back to Oregon, 830 miles.
Dealers are closed or to busy to do it.

Anyone know a local guy that works really early Sat AM to do a quick oil change?

I am also bringing and air filter and a belt that I was hoping to do Friday night in the hotel garage.

Thanks
I had my oil changed at a place called GT Automotive in West Jordan Utah. Just west of I-15. I was able to watch as they did it. Owner has been in business for several years and was referred to me while I was there. Owners name is Tim. Great guy and they are opened on Saturday's. They specialize in Subies but have a lube shop that does everything. I took my Jeep, Hummer and P Car to him. Good luck.

The other plus is it is a pull through pit so I wasnt concerned about them "lifting" the car up. I pulled it in myself and stood and watched.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #5

This is to time intensive as I have to get on the road ASAP.

Found a place near downtown that specializes in Porches and they said to come in at 715AM Saturday and they have Fuch's oil and OEM filters in stock. Said they would get me on the road in no time!!!

Motorsport Porsche 928
2128 South Richard Street, SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84115
(801) 487-6733 – (801) 573-2943 – (801) 699-6542 (Mobile) ‎

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
if you're up for changing the belt and filter yourself, might as well consider doing the oil yourself. changing the oil is easier IMO than the belt. pick up the filter & crush ring before you fly out, when you get there get a set of rhino ramps, oil and wrench from the local autozone or other parts place ( or wal-mart if you're so inclined ) then take the oil to be recycled and tell them to keep the container. offer to let them have the ramps back, or they should fit in the frunk i think.

last option could be to just take the filter, oil and crush ring to a local jiffy-oil place and stand right there while they do it. (not my first choice for sure)
Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

I have heard of that place. Not heard any reviews and I no longer live there. Good luck with the service and have a great time going home. They will be getting a cold front of weather next week so be ready for a few snow flurries. Get that car to Oregon before the salt trucks hit the roads.

Safe travels and congrats on the purchase. I just washed, waxed, flushed and changed my belt this week and the car is sweet. Love the ride everyday I drive it. PERMAGRIN
Old 10-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster
I have heard of that place. Not heard any reviews and I no longer live there. Good luck with the service and have a great time going home. They will be getting a cold front of weather next week so be ready for a few snow flurries. Get that car to Oregon before the salt trucks hit the roads.

Safe travels and congrats on the purchase. I just washed, waxed, flushed and changed my belt this week and the car is sweet. Love the ride everyday I drive it. PERMAGRIN
Will do!

We don't salt out here in the NW but we do gravel. So no rust but lots of paint chips.
Looking to get a full bra for the trip.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #8

Congrats on the car!!
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jditom
Will do!

We don't salt out here in the NW but we do gravel. So no rust but lots of paint chips.
Looking to get a full bra for the trip.

Thanks

What type of bra are you looking for? I have a 2 piece bra for my 986 that is perfect. Has one small place underneath that needs some stitching. Nothing visible and I have NEVER used it. My car has a full clear bra and this bra was purchased for the previous owner when he put the car on a trailer.

Willing to let it go cheap. Let me know if your interested. Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
JTP

Congratulations on your new ride! I also bought my Boxster in SLC but only dealt with the Porsche dealer. I had it serviced there. It was the best car buying experience I had, but I think it was mostly because I was buying a Boxster. Embarking on the 2000 mile drive home with it was even better. You'll have a blast on your way home! Just keep an eye out for deer...

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote