Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

How do I change high pressure hose clamp?

Hi,

My power steering hose is leaking. it's the one in front of rear left wheel (the one that gets in your way when changing spark plugs)

It's leaking from big clamp in the middle of the hose. I have a couple of questions about how to change it:

1. How do I get it out? Obvious solution is to cut the hose on both sides of the clamp.. is there a more elegant solution?

2. What parts do I need? If I cut the hose.. then I'll probably need 2 clamps and some hose right? anything else?

3. how do I connect the hoses? clamps that I saw for sale are not very wide.. I need to somehow stick one hose into another to put the clamp on.. Am I missing something?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
pk2

I don't know the exact hose your talking about and don't quite understand your description but, in general they are not ment to be repaired. WIth that said , I've done it successfully with high pressure ac and fuel lines and god knows what else.

Man am I going to get flamed for this.

Normally I use a piece of pipe the size of the inside of the hose and about 2.5 " long. Debur and if you can grind a small champher on ends. Clean the inside of the hose with a solvent (acetone is pretty innocuous, evaporates before it can damage anything) I coat the pipe a little with "Aircraft gasket sealer" starting 1/8" back from the end of the pipe. Then I insert half the pipe into one hose and clamp it with two hose clamps..tight. I then push the other end of the pipe into the other half of the hose (careful the pipe doesn't slide further back into the first hose half) and clamp with 2 clamps

Don't add fluid or drive it for a day or 2 so the sealer can kick off and can't possibly contaminate the fluid. Use vigilance when you first start it and drive it for a week or two. Be prepared for failure. However, I've never had a failure and probably have such a splice on one of my cars that I have long since forgotten about.

Regards, PK

I've usually done this out of laziness ( don't want to drive to the dealer and/or don't want to pay the freight$$$).