Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Garage
New member, new car.

Hi all - I have been lurking for a couple of months now while I found the right car but on Monday of this week I took the plunge as the Boxster S i had been tracking dropped into the price range I wanted.

Here she is....

P-Car...

2002 S, 50K miles, silver on black, displacing this from garage (big car gets to sit on the driveway)

A8...

This seems like a good group, I think I will hang out a while

Gareth

gthompson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #2

Garage
congrats and welcome to the club. you have a very nice car! great color to boot. hope you are enjoying it and see you around the site.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #3

Garage
Welcome neighbor to the West. This forum is one of the most informative of the various ones I belong to for the different "toys" I've had over the years.

Good luck with your new toy.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #4

Congrats....nice car....
Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Pat

Welcome!
I think we may know some of the same people. I was looking through your Flikr album and saw some cars I know. I'm friends with the owner of the Imola B5 S4 race car. Also I've taken a spin around Second Creek in the Caterham and Pueblo in the Atom. I saw another B5 S4 with an Avalon plate. I've been friends with the owner of Avalon for several years.
I see you also have an A8 and lived in Parker. I lived in Parker for a while, but now am in Littleton. You spend any time on QuattroWorld?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks for the welcome.

Pat - yes I think we know some of the same people. Zev is the owner of the blue S4 and he took me round HPR in the early summer (after England lost to Germany in the world cup) at a Lotus day.

I also know know Mark at Autoworks Colorado who has maintained my A8, I need to head down there and drive the Boxster that he dropped the 3.6 in. Did you try it?

Finally, I do frequent QW on the D2 A8/S8 forum as well as the Rocky Mountain forum. I think I have seen you post regularly there prior/post to selling your S4.

Are you looking at any track time with the Porsche club? They had a DE day coming up in a couple of weeks at HPR.

Cheers

Gareth
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
Pat

Whoa, I didn't realize Zev was still around. I thought he skipped town after pissing everyone off. Was he just back in town visiting, or did he change his name and identity again?
Mark is a buddy of mine. Going over to his place today, in fact. I bet I've seen your A8 in his shop, with as much time as I spend there. Yes, I've driven his 3.6 in two states so far: OEM exhaust and non-OEM exhaust. He mentioned he wanted a few people to drive it before and after to gauge diffrences. It's pretty funny you're one of them, too.
What's your username on QW? I'm on there more than here, as many of my close friends are there. It's more of a social thing for me than car-related thing. I'm actually having lunch with the guy that bought my A4 on Monday. I miss that thing. It was very nicely set up. I think it was faster around a track than the Boxster.
I haven't done anything with PCA yet. A couple people have strongly encouraged me to get involved, and I probably will some time. Maybe I should go to a couple of their events to "test drive" the organization. Do they allow that before joining?
Many years ago all my track time was at SCR or Pueblo just on open days. This year I joined NASA and have been instructing for them. By doing so, I get free track time. At this point my thirst for driving fast is satisfied by the ~10 days I get with them, so I'm not overly excited to go pay $200 or whatever it is to track with another organization. I really like how NASA is run, and hear from others that moved from other groups to NASA that they really like how the events are run. In the end, I just don't have a big motivating force to change anything. That said, I am still curious about PCA and would love to meet more local Porsche guys, as most people I know are into Audis.
Beers some time?
Pat

Gareth
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #8

Welcome, Gareth. Congrats on the car!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #9

Garage
I figured there was a story behind Zev. Sounds like a beer conversation to me.

On Quattroworld my username is gthompson999 as well. I don't post in the Rocky Mountain forum but occasionally in the D2 forum. I am a long time lurker in both forums though.

I would like to get some track seat time in the Boxster with instruction and then look at more of the open lapping days. I have been with the BMW club a few times and received some great instruction. However they don't accept convertibles so that is done now, except I think I know enough of the guys that they will sit in with me on other track days. I will have to look into the NASA events.

You can definitelty come out to the BMW/Z-Car/Lotus days and observe how it is run and get some ride alongs to feel them out. I did hear about a certain aloofness from the PCA, so we will see.

Beers. Should do that sometime.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson999
Hi all - I have been lurking for a couple of months now while I found the right car but on Monday of this week I took the plunge as the Boxster S i had been tracking dropped into the price range I wanted.

Here she is....

P-Car...

2002 S, 50K miles, silver on black, displacing this from garage (big car gets to sit on the driveway)

A8...

This seems like a good group, I think I will hang out a while

Gareth
Wecome, great looking car, love the color and the wheels. Looks familar.
Attached Images

bmcuscgr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #11

Garage
Beauty

BTW...as I try to resist immediate mods, what is a good source for the clear/smoked side markers (ebay, other)?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #12

Garage
Go with Ebay, whole swap out should take about a minute.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-996-BOXSTER-CLEAR-SMOKE-SIDE-MARKER-LIGHT-LEFT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa51e1a75QQitemZ32059 7793397QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

BTW, welcome!!

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-01-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #13

The amount that this changes the car's looks is stunning. I'm going to buy them soon.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #14

Welcome

to the wonderful world known as 986Forums!!!!
btw...nice color!!!
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #15

Lucky dog...living in Colorado with all those mountain curvey roads is made for a Porsche. Welcome and enjoy pardner.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote