Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #1

Tiptronics

I know most on here drive a stick (and will probably tell me its the only way to drive a porsche).....but is there anyone that drives an automatic?

DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickCaracter
I know most on here drive a stick (and will probably tell me its the only way to drive a porsche).....but is there anyone that drives an automatic?
I have a Tip and it is bad ass. :dance:
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

My former '99 Boxster was a TipS and I thought in many ways it was the best of both worlds.

Around town, it was much easier to keep it in auto mode and when I wanted, I could manually shift it.

If there were anything I would change, or maybe I should say add, it would be the option of either shifting with the shifter and the steering wheel, sort of like the old 'Sportronics' that Porsche used in the '70's and '80's cars.

The TipS is much cheaper to maintain over time and these cars seem to suffer fewer (or at least fewer incidents) of the 'normal' weak spots in the car.

My new-to-me 911 is a 5-spd., but I don't think I'd have been unhappy were it a TipS. Lots of the 911 guys love them.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #4

yes, i drive a tip.

as lil said, it's the best of both worlds in some ways. i drive around in manual mode 99% of the time...
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #5

All the way!!

I have a 98' boxie with TipS and I love it, although my college age son wants to drive in manual....NO!!!!!!!
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #6

Love my Tip, and on the rookie end of DE's I am faster because I can concentrate on line and driving without having to worry about shifting. I actually only on occasion use the manual mode ecause it works better than I can drive. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #7

Had a '99 TIP, now a '01S TIP

Got them both when I lived in a crowded urban area where traffic at rush hour was stop and go and the rush hour was 6AM to 10PM 7 days a week. Owned 3 prior sports cars that were stick. There is a difference between the 2 TIPs in that the '00 and later years can shift from the buttons while still in auto mode where the '99 and prior had to be in manual. I drive 95% in auto mode...mostly semi rural fairly long drives where 2 cars at a rare stop light is a traffic jam and the average speed is 55-65. I actually shift to manual only in urban areas now.

For the number of TIPs out there, there are few reported problems.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #8

I have a manual and love it, although I'd have 2nd thoughts big time if I lived in a stop-and-go environment. FWIW in last few years of heavily surfing boxster forums, I have seen few complaints about the Tip.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #9

is it possible/expensive to convert a manual into a tiptronic?
DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickCaracter
is it possible/expensive to convert a manual into a tiptronic?
All things are possible.

But, in this case, it's gonna be $$$.

First, you need the box and differential.

Then you need the TipS shifter, Steering wheel, Ignition interlock, Brake pedal, new Instrument cluster and interior bits.

Then, a new DME, wiring harness, relays and a few engine sensors.

Then new cooling bits, incl. trans cooler and valve.

Finally, you'd need to remove the clutch hydraulics, pedal, and probably do some welding to the floor.

All said and done, it'd be waay easier, and cheaper, if you have a manual Boxster to sell it and buy a TipS Boxster. You'd likely even end up with a little change in your pocket too.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #11

Been driving the TIP for about 3 years now and would not have it any other way. Drove a '88 911SC with manuel and don't miss that cable shifter at all. If I get another Boxster it will be with PDK.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #12

Tip "Best of both worlds"

Hey Guys.....I bought my first Boxster in July. I found a triple black 03' Boxster with Tip tranny. First.... thanks to everyone for all the great info on this forum. I would not have bought this car without reading past postings and advice. One day I will post some additional photos of my new " Black Beauty" and a list everything I have inspected or serviced. I bought a tip tranny because i have the best of both worlds plus my wife can drive "Black Beauty" I am finding out its hard to have two women in one house...when they both want attention!!! My wife doesn't understand why it takes two full days to detail my "Black Beauty" for the first time. Its not easy to make a black finish look like a mirror.
Finally...I really enjoy using the paddles to down shift in traffic and around corners.....want to keep the rpm"s up. That feeling & sound is why I bought my Boxster!
Again...Thanks Boxster Freaks.....You guys provide great information and ideas.
BoneFx

bonefx is offline   Reply With Quote