Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
It's not that hard to change the mileage. The PST2 or PIWIS can set a new odometer to any number you want - that's what a dealer does if you have to replace it. The key here is that it's just a number.

Hiding 60k mi. worth of wear and tear is another story. There are so many things you can check to see if the car is consistent with the miles clocked on the odo. Minor things from carpet wear, windshield pitting, underside dirt/corrosion, rubber parts incl. seals and hoses, etc.

I have bought many low mileage cars. I'm attracted by the posted miles in the ad, but then I spend a whole lot of time comparing what I actually see with the numbers on the odo and service records.

The 20 y.o. 964 I recently bought, advertised with 20k mi., had no wear or scratches on the steering wheel, no wear to the seat bolsters or carpets, the pedal rubbers were practically new, owners manual pac intact with no creases or dog ears, original tires and battery, spare never mounted, complete, unused toolkit and jack, shiny exhaust and heat exchangers, no minute scratches on any of the exterior light lenses, clean suspension members, engine stickers, paint not shrunk or cracked from excessive heat cycles, all zinc chromate coated parts still a nice gold/yellow. Everything I checked was consistent with the mileage advertised. The bonus was the service records which listed all service from a dealer warrantied clutch pedal adjustment at 416 mi. Also, the mileages and dates (on receipts and work orders) were also consistent. I have absolutely no doubt that the car's indicated 20,372 miles were correct and original. If I had ANY doubt, I wouldn't have necessarily walked away from the car, but I would DEFINITELY have lowered the top price I would be willing to pay.

So, while it's dastardly (not to mention illegal) for a seller to roll back mileage to try to sell a car or sell it for more than it's worth, it's a fairly lazy or unwary buyer who's gonna fall for it.

You have to look beyond the numbers and corroborate them by the car's appearance. Any inconsistencies (and there should be VERY few) need to be reasonably explained.

Cheers!
__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page