09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
|
#1
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
|
It's not that hard to change the mileage. The PST2 or PIWIS can set a new odometer to any number you want - that's what a dealer does if you have to replace it. The key here is that it's just a number.
Hiding 60k mi. worth of wear and tear is another story. There are so many things you can check to see if the car is consistent with the miles clocked on the odo. Minor things from carpet wear, windshield pitting, underside dirt/corrosion, rubber parts incl. seals and hoses, etc.
I have bought many low mileage cars. I'm attracted by the posted miles in the ad, but then I spend a whole lot of time comparing what I actually see with the numbers on the odo and service records.
The 20 y.o. 964 I recently bought, advertised with 20k mi., had no wear or scratches on the steering wheel, no wear to the seat bolsters or carpets, the pedal rubbers were practically new, owners manual pac intact with no creases or dog ears, original tires and battery, spare never mounted, complete, unused toolkit and jack, shiny exhaust and heat exchangers, no minute scratches on any of the exterior light lenses, clean suspension members, engine stickers, paint not shrunk or cracked from excessive heat cycles, all zinc chromate coated parts still a nice gold/yellow. Everything I checked was consistent with the mileage advertised. The bonus was the service records which listed all service from a dealer warrantied clutch pedal adjustment at 416 mi. Also, the mileages and dates (on receipts and work orders) were also consistent. I have absolutely no doubt that the car's indicated 20,372 miles were correct and original. If I had ANY doubt, I wouldn't have necessarily walked away from the car, but I would DEFINITELY have lowered the top price I would be willing to pay.
So, while it's dastardly (not to mention illegal) for a seller to roll back mileage to try to sell a car or sell it for more than it's worth, it's a fairly lazy or unwary buyer who's gonna fall for it.
You have to look beyond the numbers and corroborate them by the car's appearance. Any inconsistencies (and there should be VERY few) need to be reasonably explained.
Cheers!
|
|
|
09-15-2010, 08:30 PM
|
#2
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
It's not that hard to change the mileage. The PST2 or PIWIS can set a new odometer to any number you want - that's what a dealer does if you have to replace it. The key here is that it's just a number.
|
I doubt these guys bought a new cluster and coded it to the mileage they wanted to show. They probably just found a cluster with lower mileage and swapped them.
__________________
Boxster S
Last edited by Cloudsurfer; 09-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.
|
|
|
09-15-2010, 08:43 PM
|
#3
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
|
^
i doubt that, as this is definitely the cluster that i had, as the stuff is painted and green tint on there as well that i haven't seen anyone do, which is basically a green tinted screen. so it was definitely plugged into something and rolled back....
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::
colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
|
|
|
09-15-2010, 09:34 PM
|
#4
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
I doubt these guys bought a new cluster and coded it to the mileage they wanted to show. They probably just found a cluster with lower mileage and swapped them.
|
I agree, but what I said about new clusters also applies to used or existing ones. Porsche dealers say they will not roll back the mileage. If you replace the cluster, they program it with the mileage listed on the old one.
But, they can set the mileage to whatever they want - the diagnostic tools have the capability. I've heard a PCNA service mgr. say they don't, but then I watched an Indy w/ PST2 actually do it. You don't even really need a PIWIS or PST2. If you're a good computer guy, you can get the software for these machines, either independently, or by actually hacking the tester, then run it from a PC w/ diagnostic cable such as the Durametric one. In fact, I saw an TV program who used a reformed auto thief w/ laptop to show how it's done. He rolled back the miles on a current Mercedes Benz and if you can do it on an MB, you can do it on a Porsche.
From what I've heard, the electronic odometers can be rolled back much more easily than the mechanical ones leaving no trace if you have the codes. At least the mechanical ones had tamper-proof, one-time caps which were difficult to source or replace and then because the rollback is done physically, evidence in the form of scratches and such on the odo gears, circlips and such is often left behind.
There is the possibility that the change is recorded elsewhere in the car, such as the BMW example, but this too can be defeated, and pros will know how to do this.
The point is, you really cannot trust the odometer alone on ANY car. You always need to corroberate it (within a reasonable doubt) by other visual indicators on the car itself such as I have described. And, my description is certainly not all-inclusive of the tell-tales available to the astute buyer.
Cheers!
|
|
|
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
|
#5
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I agree, but what I said about new clusters also applies to used or existing ones. Porsche dealers say they will not roll back the mileage. If you replace the cluster, they program it with the mileage listed on the old one.
But, they can set the mileage to whatever they want - the diagnostic tools have the capability. I've heard a PCNA service mgr. say they don't, but then I watched an Indy w/ PST2 actually do it. You don't even really need a PIWIS or PST2. If you're a good computer guy, you can get the software for these machines, either independently, or by actually hacking the tester, then run it from a PC w/ diagnostic cable such as the Durametric one. In fact, I saw an TV program who used a reformed auto thief w/ laptop to show how it's done. He rolled back the miles on a current Mercedes Benz and if you can do it on an MB, you can do it on a Porsche.
From what I've heard, the electronic odometers can be rolled back much more easily than the mechanical ones leaving no trace if you have the codes. At least the mechanical ones had tamper-proof, one-time caps which were difficult to source or replace and then because the rollback is done physically, evidence in the form of scratches and such on the odo gears, circlips and such is often left behind.
There is the possibility that the change is recorded elsewhere in the car, such as the BMW example, but this too can be defeated, and pros will know how to do this.
The point is, you really cannot trust the odometer alone on ANY car. You always need to corroberate it (within a reasonable doubt) by other visual indicators on the car itself such as I have described. And, my description is certainly not all-inclusive of the tell-tales available to the astute buyer.
Cheers!
|
As someone who has a PST2, I'm now very curious as to how to change the mileage in a cluster that is NOT brand new. I am looking to source a 996 cluster, and I would love to get the correct mileage in there, without buying a new cluster.
__________________
Boxster S
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 06:59 AM
|
#6
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 691
|
djomlas -- thanks for your post, maybe it will help someone.
How about some new pictures from you? It's been a while.
/
__________________
SOLD - 2002 Boxster S - PSM, Litronics, De-ambered, Bird Bike Rack, Hardtop, RMS leak...
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 08:39 AM
|
#7
|
|
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
|
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::
colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
|
|
|
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:16 PM.
| |