Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #21
pcw

Lil Bastard,

Not sure what your problem is, my comment was a general comment not directed to anyone specific. I also don't take 100% what is written in car mags but a good starting point for those that might not be Racer X like you or have the opportunity to test drive the car on a road course.

A member of a different forum that has both a Spyder and a GT3RS said:

"I have about 5k miles on each of my Boxster Spyder and my 997.1 GT3 RS (including some track time in each), and it isn't even close -- the Spyder wins in the handling department. The RS is all about the engine -- the Mezger powerplant is a masterpiece -- the instant-on power, the high revs, the sound . . . . And the PCCBs in that car are unbelievable too. But, when it comes to handling, the Spyder is just incredible and that makes the car so much fun to drive. I can't even imagine what a Spyder could do with Michelin Sport Cups (as opposed to stock Pirellis)."

Pretty close to what the "rags" stated.

pcw

pcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #22

@ PCW,

You like the car and you bought it... all good there. I get that.

Interesting that in each of your prior posts on the subject, save one, you cited other sources or peoples' opinions/review of the car, but little of your own.

Who are you trying to convince, and why?

This is not a really substantial 'debate' here, just everyone expressing opinion.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-01-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
pcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
@ PCW,

You like the car and you bought it... all good there. I get that.

Interesting that in each of your prior posts on the subject, save one, you cited other sources or peoples' opinions/review of the car, but little of your own.

Who are you trying to convince, and why?

This is not a really substantial 'debate' here, just everyone expressing opinion.

Cheers!

Lil Bastard,

The reason is simple, I don't have 6 other expensive sports car to test it against. I also don't have 130K GT3RS to compare it to. I not trying to convince anyone of anything. But you want my opinion on this car, here it is:

It is the most neutral feeling car I have ever driven and provides more feedback to me as the driver than any car I have ever driven. It stay online in turns and some cars you have to really stay on top of and work hard to get it around. I would like more HP, but then who doesn't. I like how the rear end swings out and I feel in total control at all times with the Spyder.

My 08 STI which I do track, even though is AWD and has a higher center of gravity and as good as that car is on the track, the Spyder is an entire cut above, not even is the same league. It's the feeling of confidence that the Spyder gives me. This is my first Porsche and to be honest, it has taken some time to be able to afford it. When I have my STI on the track on a hard tight switch backs, the feedback is not there and it's sometimes hard to feel if the car is at it's limit. With the Spyder you know exactly where you are as far as limits and it my driving ability that is holding me back, not the cars. With my STI, I always feel the cars is the weak link, with the Spyder I truly see it is me. I will admit I have only had the Spyder out on 1 road course, cones at an old military airbase runway but that was enough to see the difference. I do not plan to track the Spyder as much as my STI, as the cost of tracking your cars add up quickly and porsche's aren't cheap to replace tires, pads and rotors, not to mention all the warranty issues in regards to tracking.

I am not a rich man, but am a car enthusiast. I am happy whenever any Porsche wins races, has good reviews unlike you that seems to have a bone to pick with them. Maybe it's because I'm new to the Porsche cars and am not aware of all the past "marketing ploys". All I know is I love the car, love the performance, paid a lot of money for it (a lot of money to me) and that's all I care about. I don't get caught up in the VW to Porsche relationship, don't care about being deceived, insulted etc...To me that's just a bunch of smoke, mirrors and excuses.

pcw
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #24

All cars are subjective to some degree, as long as we like our own rides it ends right there. I do need to say Lil B you are being hard on a car that will undoubtedly beat your most recent purchase in every measurable category.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
All cars are subjective to some degree, as long as we like our own rides it ends right there. I do need to say Lil B you are being hard on a car that will undoubtedly beat your most recent purchase in every measurable category.
Well, I respect your viewpoint.

But, I am not comparing the Spyder to anything. I simply drove it and didn't like it, period.

Will it spank my 964, most probably, given like conditions and the same driver, definitely! 20 yrs. in engine and suspension advances, not to mention the mid-engine weight distribution all contribute.

That being the case, I still didn't enjoy driving it one bit. The interminable lag at launch and the DME telling me when to shift, or rather, actually shifting for me really put me off. The handling didn't seem like some revelation, in fact, it was indistinguishable from other Boxsters I've tracked. It may well have produced higher test numbers or data points, but these were not at all obvious from the driver's seat, though I admit that being on street rubber may explain some of it.

HP, IMHO, is a fools game, you can always heap more on. It's just a matter of cash and compromise. Handling and braking, not HP, is what always distinguished a Sports Car from an ordinary street machine. This seems to have been forgotten, though the Sports Car category isn't the only one at blame here when you can get 290 HP from a stock Nissan Maxima (like you really need that in a street car).

And, since Carol Shelby was brought into the arguement, he always said that the original AC Cobra, with the 260 HiPo motor was a dream to drive, well balanced all-around. He also says that when the 289 was introduced (MkII), the car suffered, but when the 427 side-oiler and/or 428 was introduced (MkIII), it ruined the car entirely. He refers to the Mark III as "the Pig".

Now, I'm not claiming to be Senna incarnate or any such thing. But I have driven on many tracks in many cars and while there were some which I enjoyed more than others, none of them before the Spyder actually annoyed me. So much so, that I pitted early and left 6 more laps on the table, something which is very much against my religion... and a first!

This is an opinion thread. Not everyone will share my view, perhaps even the majority. NO PROBLEM at all!

My opinion is based on my personal experience with the car and if anything, because of the raves about it, I was looking forward to driving it and was prepared for an entirely different experience than I had.

IMPO, the car does not in actuality live up to all the hype or the sticker price.

If expressing my opinion is contrued by some as insulting, that's much more their problem than my intent.

And, as I freely admitted, I'm betting Porsche sells them by the score. There just won't ever be one in my driveway.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #26

I wonder how much better the spyder is to a similarly equipped Boxster S ? Just say you spent a few bucks on some light weight seats , wheels and some suspension . would there really be that much of a difference ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
I wonder how much better the spyder is to a similarly equipped Boxster S ? Just say you spent a few bucks on some light weight seats , wheels and some suspension . would there really be that much of a difference ?

I think your points are well made.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #28
pcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean

Wouldn't that hold true for the Boxster vs the Boxster S, Cayman vs the Cayman S. Isn't that the point when it comes to "S" models, you get a bump in HP, different rims and tighter suspension. The Spyder is just a notch above the S model. The Cayman CS/R or what ever they call, if they decided to build it, will be the same thing. Seems like every company is doing that and have for years.

pcw
Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #29

Keep in mind that there is a distinct difference between the base car and the S . There is no major mechanical difference between the S model and the Spyder model .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
HP, IMHO, is a fools game, you can always heap more on. It's just a matter of cash and compromise. Handling and braking, not HP, is what always distinguished a Sports Car from an ordinary street machine. This seems to have been forgotten, though the Sports Car category isn't the only one at blame here when you can get 290 HP from a stock Nissan Maxima (like you really need that in a street car).
I just had a similar argument with someone who thinks the current M3 is brilliant.

I told him it's pig and the earlier E30/36/46 M3s were true to its concept. He disagreed.

That, and one of the mechanics at the BMW dealer said, M nowadays stands for marketing.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #31

The top put me off from the simple standpoint of where I live.
I take the box out on nice days -only - and here in wonderful north Florida, it's not so much clouds and rain blow in as clouds and rain FORM in a matter of minutes.
I get caught in quick, out of nowhere showers all the time and the hassle of putting up and taking down the SPyder top leaves me cold. Southern Cal or Arizona.........hell yes!!
Now for the track car part. Are you kidding me?? If tracking is that important, BUY A TRACK CAR!!! Do you have ANY idea what kind of real live proven winner race car you can buy for 70 grand??
Since we're all talking pure opinion here, with nothing aimed at anyone, I personally wish Porsche had spent the time effort and money on a lightweight retractable hard top. Give me less noise when it's up, less worry about some butt-head trying out his straight razor on it and less hassle with my neighbor and his four out-side cats.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #32

There are two Spyders at the dealer by my house, One black and one is white thay look great. I just don't think thay are any better then a Boxster S. One is listed for; $76K and the other is; $75K.

As for the Spyder being a track car? Buy a 2006 Lotus Elise, I did for less then half price of a Spyder and way faster on the track and a lot cheaper and easier to work on.
My 99 Box is my DD and the Lotus my track car, I think I have the best of both worlds and a total of $ 30,600.00 in to both cars
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I personally wish Porsche had spent the time effort and money on a lightweight retractable hard top. Give me less noise when it's up, less worry about some butt-head trying out his straight razor on it and less hassle with my neighbor and his four out-side cats.
Excellent point! Retrofittable to all earlier model years at a reasonable price, of course.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #34
pcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
The top put me off from the simple standpoint of where I live.
I take the box out on nice days -only - and here in wonderful north Florida, it's not so much clouds and rain blow in as clouds and rain FORM in a matter of minutes.
I get caught in quick, out of nowhere showers all the time and the hassle of putting up and taking down the SPyder top leaves me cold. Southern Cal or Arizona.........hell yes!!
Now for the track car part. Are you kidding me?? If tracking is that important, BUY A TRACK CAR!!! Do you have ANY idea what kind of real live proven winner race car you can buy for 70 grand??
Since we're all talking pure opinion here, with nothing aimed at anyone, I personally wish Porsche had spent the time effort and money on a lightweight retractable hard top. Give me less noise when it's up, less worry about some butt-head trying out his straight razor on it and less hassle with my neighbor and his four out-side cats.
I'm in Northern CA and from May to Oct no rain and in the winter when the sun is out it's 60 degrees. Not sure I would have gotten the Spyder if I lived somewhere else. It's not my daily driver so the rain doesn't really effect me and out here you know in plenty of time when the rain is coming.

I will say the car really draws attention. Every time I stop and get gas I'm there at least 30 mins talking about the car to the many on lookers wondering what kind of Porsche it is. I entered it in a local Concours over the summer and placed for the road and track award. That award is for the car the judges would most like to drive. I have great fun with the car.

pcw
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw
I'm in Northern CA and from May to Oct no rain and in the winter when the sun is out it's 60 degrees. Not sure I would have gotten the Spyder if I lived somewhere else. It's not my daily driver so the rain doesn't really effect me and out here you know in plenty of time when the rain is coming.

I will say the car really draws attention. Every time I stop and get gas I'm there at least 30 mins talking about the car to the many on lookers wondering what kind of Porsche it is. I entered it in a local Concours over the summer and placed for the road and track award. That award is for the car the judges would most like to drive. I have great fun with the car.

pcw

For seventy K+, There better be judges yearning to drive it, that's only eight K less than I paid for my home back in the day.

I like the car and it's looks but at the end of the day, would it be worth my car plus 60K for the pleasure of driving one? Not with a perfect well sorted, paid for Boxster in the house with only 32K on the clock...

Last edited by eightsandaces; 09-03-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #36
pcw

Quote:
For seventy K+, There better be judges yearning to drive it, that's only eight K less than I paid for my home back in the day.

I like the car and it's looks but at the end of the day, would it be worth my car plus 60K for the pleasure of driving one? Not with a perfect well sorted, paid for Boxster in the house with only 32K on the clock...
Well as far as the Judges, let me tell you there were way more expensive cars at that concours than a 65K Spyder, the Spyder was one of the less expensive cars there and drew more attention than some of the classics that were there. Money is subjective, what I would spend my money on will be different than someone else. You prefer to buy used, others prefer new.

Yes, when I bought my first house 25 years ago it cost 76000.00 Brand new, also a new 911 Porsche cost $31,950.00, so what, what does that have to do with anything, co'mom, that's a ridiculous comparison. Can you get a new 911 for 32K, HA, I wish, what are they now 78k for a basic 911, with no options. What is the price different between a new Boxster s and a Spyder, 58K vs 61.2K that's 3200.00, not a big difference.

pcw
Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 AM   #37

Can't we just get along?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcw
Well as far as the Judges, let me tell you there were way more expensive cars at that concours than a 65K Spyder, the Spyder was one of the less expensive cars there and drew more attention than some of the classics that were there. Money is subjective, what I would spend my money on will be different than someone else. You prefer to buy used, others prefer new.

Yes, when I bought my first house 25 years ago it cost 76000.00 Brand new, also a new 911 Porsche cost $31,950.00, so what, what does that have to do with anything, co'mom, that's a ridiculous comparison. Can you get a new 911 for 32K, HA, I wish, what are they now 78k for a basic 911, with no options. What is the price different between a new Boxster s and a Spyder, 58K vs 61.2K that's 3200.00, not a big difference.

pcw

It's not really that dumb a comparison when you live where I do and a fixer upper, cape can be had for 75K. I'm getting 850.00 a month for a similar house, I love sports cars but the reason I chose "used" was to spend money on investments that pay me back so I can be retired from the corporate musical chairs game. I respect your choice to buy the new spyder, it's a beautiful car, we all spend a long time in the dirt, so why not?

Last edited by eightsandaces; 09-03-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #39

Quote:
I'm not rich pcw, I'd love one new car in my lifetime, the "used" route was the sensible choice for me.
Who said you need to be rich to buy a new car or a new house? You just need to be financially irresponsible... uh I mean live for the moment! :dance:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Who said you need to be rich to buy a new car or a new house? You just need to be financially irresponsible... uh I mean live for the moment! :dance:

That would be an awesome plan if I was a wall street banker... I'd get a used CGT and tell the gove I couldn't pay them back for it..