Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

GAHH top installation cost in MD

Dear Enthusiasts,

So I decided to replace my top with the GAHH convertible top w/glass - sonnendeck canvas for $820 bucks.

Thing is, the installers that they recommended in the MD area (Baltimore vicinity) have all quoted me $900 - $1,250 for installation.

Does this figure sound right? Looking at some other threads, GAHH does the install for like $600 (saw one thread where GAHH top installed for $1500).

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
99 Boxter - Guards Red

Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
There's a guy on this forum (Peter Serbanica) who installs those tops for about $400 while you wait. He's in New Jersey though.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #3

Thanks mate!

Thanks mate! NJ is not too far from where I live!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejolierogue
Dear Enthusiasts,

So I decided to replace my top with the GAHH convertible top w/glass - sonnendeck canvas for $820 bucks.

Thing is, the installers that they recommended in the MD area (Baltimore vicinity) have all quoted me $900 - $1,250 for installation.

Does this figure sound right? Looking at some other threads, GAHH does the install for like $600 (saw one thread where GAHH top installed for $1500).

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
99 Boxter - Guards Red
I am one who paid on the higher end; but I went to a GAHH - approved (read lifetime warranty) installer, and live in San Francisco, which is infinitely more expensive than Baltimore (I work on the east coast, and know that MD should be about 40% cheaper). I'd say call GAHH and find out who they rec.

jon
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #5

Having GAHH top w/glass installed this Friday. I am using thier recommended installer in the Boise Id area. (local dealer uses him also) Cost $1800.00 for top and install.
flyfisch
flyfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #6

Peter installed my new top a few years ago. He works out of his garage and does great work. Mine took 4 hours.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #7

Wow, I'm not far from Peter either...

I was considering selling my hard-top (just don't use it) and using the funds to go with a glass-backed quality top...now I see I could actually do an almost-straight trade dollar for dollar....

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #8

I did my own top replacement and, even though it turned out well, it was a lot of time and effort. If I could find someone good to do it for $500 or less, I would gladly farm it out next time. If it cost more than that then I'd still do it myself.

The top itself cost $500, shipped from England, and included a pair of oem slider clamps. The quality was excellent and the fit was perfect.

The tutorials by Mike Focke and Wayne Dempsey are great. If you have those you can leave your Bentley on the shelf.

I did my first one in about 10 or so hours. I would think that if I did 4 or 5 more then I should have that down to about 6 or 7 hours easily, and a pro should be much faster than that. These guys charging 1000+ for the job are pulling down a pretty mean hourly rate.

I'm told that if you want a glass window the best route to go is to get a complete four-bow top off an '03 or'04. Putting a glass window top on a three-bow means a smaller window and restricted access to the motor in service mode. I stuck with the plastic window for that reason.

Last edited by Mark_T; 08-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
There's a guy on this forum (Peter Serbanica) who installs those tops for about $400 while you wait. He's in New Jersey though.

NJ' not far at all! Thanks for the tip.

As far as the quote the OP got, tha's pretty much what I was quoted as well - granted that was also in MD so I wouldn't expect much of a difference in price.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #10

Great choice on GAHH. I was transferred to Bakersfield and was able to drop my car off to GAHH for installation. I was right around $1,500 installed and the top (fit and finish) is better than the factory top. Good choice!
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #11

Yes, the ones I contact were indeed GAHH recommended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
I am one who paid on the higher end; but I went to a GAHH - approved (read lifetime warranty) installer, and live in San Francisco, which is infinitely more expensive than Baltimore (I work on the east coast, and know that MD should be about 40% cheaper). I'd say call GAHH and find out who they rec.

jon
but I finally found one about 25 miles from me in the Bel Air area that will do it for $475 - GAHH recommended installer. Wohoo!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #12

$475 is an excellent installation price. Good for you!!!!!

My mechanic said it takes about 5.5 hours to do the work if all goes well and he hits no snags... and he's a hundred an hour, so this is a really good price for Houston anyway.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #13

I can have a Top Shop that repairs and replaces Porsche tops. To remove and replace the rear plastic window is $450.00

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
NJ' not far at all! Thanks for the tip.

As far as the quote the OP got, tha's pretty much what I was quoted as well - granted that was also in MD so I wouldn't expect much of a difference in price.

Thanks for the plug!
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy

Thanks for the plug!!!!!

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote