Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #221

So we took the car to UMS Tuning to take care of the tuning. Tony worked his magic and the car made 416whp at 17.75lbs of boost. Considering the application of the car (road racing) we pulled a bit timing just to play it safe and ended up at 396whp and 354 ft/lb. Should be plenty of power for a 2400lb car. Dyno video link at bottom. Sound quality questionable...

Subaru Powered Boxster dyno tuning - YouTube

kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #222
02 box s

love this thread. it's one of my favorites to follow. nice numbers. 400hp should have it honking along pretty well. thanks for the update.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #223

Here are some pictures and an in-car video. No blazing fast lap times this time out. I'm still a bit rusty because I haven't driven on track in almost 3 years, and the car has only been completed for 12 hours at this point. There is a lot of speed potential in the car (more than my driving ability could use this past weekend) and I can't wait to see how it fairs against other cars in it's class after we get some development time under our belts.

VIDEO!
Precision Chassis Works Subaru Powered Boxster Shakedown at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway - YouTube

And for anyone who was wondering if the Boxster cooling system could handle the cooling needs of the Subaru turbo engine... this is what we had to do just to get the car to run at normal operating temps. This was with a restrictor plate in place of the functioning thermostat. We are going to have to go back to a thermostat. Without any tape on the front end, the water temps never got above 125 degrees while driving.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #224

great progress, thanks for continuing to keep us updated

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #225
Pat

God I love this thread
Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #226

the motor sounds great too!

That track looks fast. Much faster than the one I drive on here in Texas. Lots of long sweepers.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #227
02 box s

ah...the sound of a blow off valve in the morning
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #228
BoxedIn

Amazing work! That has to be a very powerful toy!

Few question:

1/ how do you like the MR2 electric power steering ?
2/ What transmission year model do you have ?
3/ Did you figure how to hook the ABS ?
4/ does the CV axle not the same length right and left because of the R&P on the side?

Thanks

Greg
Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxeer View Post
Amazing work! That has to be a very powerful toy!

Few question:

1/ how do you like the MR2 electric power steering ?
2/ What transmission year model do you have ?
3/ Did you figure how to hook the ABS ?
4/ does the CV axle not the same length right and left because of the R&P on the side?

Thanks

Greg
The MR2 pump works perfectly. It's a variable speed unit based on load. It feels completely natural.

The transmission in the test car is a stock G86/20 which is the stock 6 speed in the 2000 Boxster S. The adapter kit will work with all Boxster/Cayman transaxles up through 2008.

The ABS system functions exactly as is would in a stock car. Nothing had to be done to the stock ABS system to make it work with the engine conversion because the ABS system doesn't take any input from the engine management.

Porsche transaxles all use equal length axles... unlike BMW stuff.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #230
BoxedIn

Glad to know you have the PS working with variable speed! I only heard people using it ON or OFF which is really bad for the pump to run 100% all the time.

When I look at the 2005 Boxster S engine on the floor. I have a hard time to imagine the axle the same length...
The only way it could be possible is if the engine is offset on the right a little bit. Or maybe It's a very good illusion. I just measured with approximation 6.5" in from input shaft of gearbox to left CV flange and only 5" from the same axis to the right CV flange.

Thanks

Greg

Last edited by Boxeer; 02-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxeer View Post
Glad to know you have the PS working with variable speed! I only heard people using it ON or OFF which is really bad for the pump to run 100% all the time.

When I look at the 2005 Boxster S engine on the floor. I have a hard time to imagine the axle the same length...
The only way it could be possible is if the engine is offset on the right a little bit. Or maybe It's a very good illusion. I just measured with approximation 6.5" in from input shaft of gearbox to left CV flange and only 5" from the same axis to the right CV flange.

Thanks

Greg
Engine is not offset... I'm not sure what you are seeing but every Porsche I've been under uses equal length axles.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #232
BoxedIn

Do you have any information concerning the MR2 pump wiring?

I found few other people doing this but did not find yet somebody with variable steering yet like you are doing.

I found this person that did a great job but I'm wondering if there is a way around of not having the ECU and all the components he is listing...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-suspension-brakes/415129-how-install-mr2-power-steering-pump.html

Greg

Last edited by Boxeer; 02-15-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #233

bravo bravo. As with most, I love this thread.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #234

From this past weekend...

Precision Chassis Works Subaru Powered Boxster CalSpeed - YouTube
Old 03-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #235

Garage
Awesome...

I've followed the thread with great interest, and seeing it in action is amazing and reinforces what the Boxster can be.

Congrats on an amazing project...and I think you could have kept up with the first few cars had you really intended to, but I'd play it safe too...especially with the time invested into your Boxstaru project.

Please keep us updated...all the best!
grtc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtc68 View Post
I've followed the thread with great interest, and seeing it in action is amazing and reinforces what the Boxster can be.

Congrats on an amazing project...and I think you could have kept up with the first few cars had you really intended to, but I'd play it safe too...especially with the time invested into your Boxstaru project.

Please keep us updated...all the best!
The car is capable of a lot more than you saw in that video. I'm still VERY MUCH a novice driver and that weekend was my first time on that track. Watching the video now, I can see a bunch of places where I'm giving up time... including slowing down WAY too much on the NASCAR banking
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #237

Looks like fun! Great project. What is your expected life of that engine before a rebuild?
onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #238

Dang .. just went through the entire 12 pages .. my car feel so inadequate now .. *bow down*
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #239

Aha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
I'm still VERY MUCH a novice driver and that weekend was my first time on that track.
SOOOOOO kcpaz we finally find something that you haven't mastered ... (yet)!!

I knew there had to be a skeleton in your closet!

If you take to racing like you did to building the car, everyone needs to watch out!

Great stuff as always, I'm betting one or two more races is all you need to be a pro, then what will you do??

Cheers.

J T
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tinsby View Post

Great stuff as always, I'm betting one or two more races is all you need to be a pro, then what will you do??

J T
Build a street version so I can prove that this conversion can work in an every day application. I've already got a 987 lined up.

As far as life expectancy on the current engine... The plan is to run it at it's current power level and after the first season, if it's still alive and kicking, I'll pull the engine apart, put it back together with a Cosworth shortblock and turn the boost up and see how long the transaxle lasts at 450 whp.