Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
No, the air-jack tubes are welded into the chassis itself.
Where and how do you make them work? Do you use an external compressor to inflate them? Do you use a race jack to lift the back before you inflate them, or are they strong enough to lift the car from the ground on their own with enough compressed air?

Why this bit is fascinating to me is beyond me considering everything else you've done, but I'd love to know.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #182
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Hey, I'm with you, Randall. If this was something that could be employed on a stock car, I'd go for it. Could allow you to do certain things underneath without having to fully jack/lift the car...and it'd be kinda cool to show off, heheh...
:dance:

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Hey, I'm with you, Randall. If this was something that could be employed on a stock car, I'd go for it. Could allow you to do certain things underneath without having to fully jack/lift the car...and it'd be kinda cool to show off, heheh...
:dance:
Dear Overdrive,
If you ever do anything under a car with only air jacks holding it up, I will personally come to Conn. and kick your ass and maybe bring flowers to your funeral. I've never been to the East Coast, don't give me a reason to do it.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #184
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
Dear Overdrive,
If you ever do anything under a car with only air jacks holding it up, I will personally come to Conn. and kick your ass and maybe bring flowers to your funeral. I've never been to the East Coast, don't give me a reason to do it.
:dance::dance:

You could come give me a hand with the safety stands...would that be a good reason?

It's good to know people care, Spinnaker. Alas, just jokes...but it would be kinda cool to have air jacks on the car...no worries about flat spots over the winter.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 09-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #185
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Wiring is DONE! Other than the ABS system, the chassis harness was built from scratch. The engine management is stock from the 2007 WRX donor and fit in the stock Boxster location using all stock mounting points. We were even able to use the stock Porsche ECU mounting studs with the stock Subaru ECU and relays. Everything powers up and the engine cranks. Still need to plumb the oil system, fuel system, and cooling system, but then we should be able to fire it up and get it on the dyno for some tuning.

Rear trunk

Accu Sump

You need to replace the shift mechanism with a 997 unit.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
You need to replace the shift mechanism with a 997 unit.
When I upgrade the shifter, it will be to a CMS unit with custom cables.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #187
Porscheectomy

Quote:
When I upgrade the shifter, it will be to a CMS unit with custom cables.
Even better.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Where and how do you make them work? Do you use an external compressor to inflate them? Do you use a race jack to lift the back before you inflate them, or are they strong enough to lift the car from the ground on their own with enough compressed air?

Why this bit is fascinating to me is beyond me considering everything else you've done, but I'd love to know.
clicky
Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #189
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Someone made a kinda good point about the price that can go along with a system like this in a forum thread link that popped up on kcpaz's search results above:

"for that price you can buy a lift for your garage"...true, it'd sure make tire changes a lot faster, though.

How much does that system weight, kcpaz (ballpark)?

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #190

Subaru Powered Boxster First Start-up - YouTube
Old 10-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #191

wow!!! need i say more?!!!!
1998 Arctic Silver Boxster
stcroixdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #192

So when are you going to make a cradle, tranny adapter and clutch available for purchase????????
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
So when are you going to make a cradle, tranny adapter and clutch available for purchase????????
Before the end of the year.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 AM   #194

Thank you! I may be first in line.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #195

What scares me the most is that one crash will destroy all your hard work and time invested. Everything you have shown us is top notch in every regard, just hate to think of it getting trashed by some boob on the track ....

Best of luck it's an impressive bit of kit.

J T
Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #196

We are also using this car to test out a few non-conversion related products including a programmable brake light flasher module. With this module, we are able to set the brake lights to activate with an adjustable number of flashes prior to constant illumination, and adjust the flash frequency (faster flashing available with LED bulbs). This is something we are developing specifically for full size cars and is not just a retrofitted motorcycle flasher unit.

Race Car Brake Light Flasher - YouTube

Last edited by kcpaz; 11-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #197
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Can we hear more non-limp mode engine running? Are things closer to being in proper running order for a legit running?

I had a Subie guy drooling at that first video, curious to see how it sounds all put together and ready to haul.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Can we hear more non-limp mode engine running? Are things closer to being in proper running order for a legit running?

I had a Subie guy drooling at that first video, curious to see how it sounds all put together and ready to haul.
I'll put up a video of the dyno tuning. Probably another week or so.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #199

Finally, all of the plumbing is finished, communication for the Racepak dash is finalized and programmed, and it's ready for a tune. More video coming soon...

Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #200

I'm late to this build thread...but I have to reiterate what others have said, your fabrication skills, welding skills are phenomenal!!!!

As someone who built a boxster into a dedicated race-car with a 3.6L 996 motor I can't get over your thoughtfulness in locating every system so that it is serviceable. The detail work of the plumbing is fantastic.

You showed a close up of two stainless tanks, what are they? Engine Oil and Engine Coolant?

Just fantastic!

Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote