Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Coolant Smell From Air Vents.

I can smell coolant whenever I turn on the Heat in my 97 boxster.

it only smells when the heat is on.......otherwise no smell.

No smell with AC on either.

Is this most likely a Heater core issue?

I have been checking my Coolant level and it is not dropping so I am not sure if it is a leak or what? ..... can anything else cause it to smell through the vents?

Is the heater core super difficult to install if that is the issue?

I am very impressed with how hot of air these cars blow ..... this thing is going to be super warm and toasty in the wintertime!!!

as always, any insight is much appreciated??

dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #2

Yeah, it'll be sime kind of leak from the heater core. Not sure how hard it is to get at, but I'm sure someone will be along. If you're lucky it'll be accessible from under the hood, rather than dash-out job.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #3

Anyone else have this issue in the past??

recommend buying a New aftermarket one?
or
recommend buying a used one for $80

and whats involved with replacing a heater core?.... does it say in that service manual most of you have.....im ordering one soon myself?

Last edited by dirkdiggler; 08-05-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler
Anyone else have this issue in the past??

recommend buying a New aftermarket one?
or
recommend buying a used one for $80

and whats involved with replacing a heater core?.... does it say in that service manual most of you have.....im ordering one soon myself?
Dirkdiggler,

I would buy a new one from a reputable vendor like Pelican or an OEM from Suncoast,

now about replacing it... have never done it on a Porsche,

however I have done it on the Fiat X1/9, Alfa Romeo Milano, and a couple more cars that I don't care to remember, but I have to tell you is the most miserable, and uncomfortable job to do on a car...

Before buying anything, you should check the water valve, clamps and hoses that attach into the heater core itself, you may get lucky and it's one of these items (but replacing anything related to the heater core is a pain too...)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

It very well could be the heater core. It could also be a radiator or the water pump or the air/water heat exchanger or the tank or a hose fitting. It's hard to tell because the smell can find it's way into the cabin from everywhere. Add a UV additive to the coolant and let it run for a while. Open the pressure valve to get it circulating. Then take a look around the bottom of the car and engine with the trays and bulkhead cover off first. You can see the water lines and the pump and most of the radiators that way. You can see the heat exchanger with the top engine cover off.

You'll also want to check the coolant tank for leaks.

Those are the very easy steps. The heater core comes out by removing the battery, windshield wipers, and all the plastic at the base of the windshield. It's not a hard job, but eliminate the easy ones first.

Don't buy anything until you know where the problem lies. Otherwise things will get expensive very quickly.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #6

According to Bentley, the heater core is under the cowl, not under the dash. Looks far simpler than replacing on the average vehicle.

Considering the condition of your Box, the best money you can spend is on a Bentley manual. It will walk you through many of the projects you have ahead of you.

Then buy a new HC. Why buy a used one that could be 100 mi from blowing?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Thanks guys, glad to hear the dash does not need to come out.

It has to be something up in the front of the car causing the smell becasue it only smells when I turn the Heat on....... otherwise I DONT smell coolant stink any-other time.

I generally just turn the Heat/AC/FAN off all the time after startup and dont smell anything until I kick the heat on.

So far I have put 400 miles on the $3500 boxster and no IMS failure....yeaaahhhh!! ....... but other little issues are showing there ugly face.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks guys, glad to hear the dash does not need to come out.

It has to be something up in the front of the car causing the smell becasue it only smells when I turn the Heat on....... otherwise I DONT smell coolant stink any-other time.

I generally just turn the Heat/AC/FAN off all the time after startup and dont smell anything until I kick the heat on.

So far I have put 400 miles on the $3500 boxster and no IMS failure....yeaaahhhh!! ....... but other little issues are showing there ugly face.
Why would you be worried about an IMS failure? Particularly on a car that cost $3,500. Just curious.
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #9

Quote: "These all posts covers a very good and needed guides. I like this all post, every members gives a very good suggestions for vehicles."

Great Engrish!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #10

Garage
Dirk, 3,500 for a Boxster? Wow, I missed you getting that. Shouldn't you be driving a '79 Vette (red)?
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #11

"Im a star, im a star, im a star....Im a big bright shining star....yeah, thats right" Dirk quote....... best movie ever!

The vette in competition red is next on the LIST

I paid $3500 for the Boxster but I plan on putting money into it( thousands most likely) ............ Just dont want the motor too blow and then I have to junk yard the car or part it out .
Old 08-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #12

I visually inspected the radiators and dont see a leak, also cleared out a ton of leaves and debri that was stuck in the area of the radiators.

I dont smell coolant when the heater is turned off so I dont think it can be the water-pump or a leak from anywhere in the rear of the car.

I really can only see it being a Heater core related leak at this point.

So from what I have read above the Heater core is located under a Cowl of some sort and not the dash...........thank god!!

Anyone with a service manual, can you please just let me know what cowl the heater core is under/behind?

dont need a full write up step by step but just a simple idea of what to start removing to access it.

Im working on getting a manual of my own but keep getting outbid on ebay for one.

thanks guys
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Porscheectomy

Quote:
I visually inspected the radiators and dont see a leak, also cleared out a ton of leaves and debri that was stuck in the area of the radiators.

I dont smell coolant when the heater is turned off so I dont think it can be the water-pump or a leak from anywhere in the rear of the car.

I really can only see it being a Heater core related leak at this point.

So from what I have read above the Heater core is located under a Cowl of some sort and not the dash...........thank god!!

Anyone with a service manual, can you please just let me know what cowl the heater core is under/behind?

dont need a full write up step by step but just a simple idea of what to start removing to access it.

Im working on getting a manual of my own but keep getting outbid on ebay for one.

thanks guys

You have to remove the battery, the wiper arms, then the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield, then wiper mechanism, and then you can access the heater core at the center of the base of the windshield. You also have to remove the strut-supports that tie the struts to the front bulkhead. In order to get it out, you have to disconnect the very short hoses that feed it and pull off a glue-covered pad that sits on top of the core.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #14

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it

what does the manual say the expected hours involved are?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it

what does the manual say the expected hours involved are?
The Bentley doesn't have rates. It took me about an hour to get into it and about the same time to get it back together.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #16

Try Pelican Tech section...

http://www.pelicanparts.com//boxster/boxster_tech.htm

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #17

Quote:
New Bentley manual, $62.97 delivered. Don't think you'll get anyone near that price on eBay - even used.

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Boxster-Service-Manual-1997-2004/dp/0837613337
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

I found some pictures on my camera from when I did the job. This will hopefully give you an idea of where it is. It's under the foam cover with the hoses running into it.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-20-2010 at 11:41 AM.