Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by al83s
I red-line my 2.7 several times a day and no problems so far.
Letting the rpm drop below 3k is dissapointing since the power just isnt there if you need it.
i have been getting 19-20 mpg lately though
Wow, I cruise at 2k constantly after hard acceleration, and only get 18 MPG. Time to up cruising rev's and see how I do :P.

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterDuke
I've only recently taken ownership of my Boxster and reading the post on "Tiptronic vs Manual", I have just discovered a whole new car when driving in lower gears in manual between 5,000 and 6,500 revs (I think my 2.7 red-lines at 7,000?). Enormous fun, but still couldn't quite bring myself to take it right up to the Red-Line yet. Guess I'm still worried the engine will come out of the car over my left shoulder (UK).

Gentle driving in Auto is giving me around 26MPG, driving like last night probably around 21MPG.....but hell, its only fuel!!
Ahh silly Europeans and your different MPG measuring and fuel octanes. Us in America can manage maybe 22 MPG on the combined cycle if we drive like grandma's.
Do it when you're ready, but building trust with your car often requires for you to explore its limits.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
Track rat

Garage
Ummm, I guess I generally avoid redline (6500). Sometimes I will hover above 6k for a bit at the end of a long straight when I don't want to upshift just before a braking zone. My sweet spot is 4-6k and I tend to do all my performance driving there. I think max torque on my car is 4800 and it feels like it falls off a little above 6k so that is where I usually reach for another gear.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #24

All I can say is, I'm glad my '06 2.7 has a rev limiter, sometimes I lose track of the RPM exiting a corner! At 7k it feels like it wants more!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Ummm, I guess I generally avoid redline (6500). Sometimes I will hover above 6k for a bit at the end of a long straight when I don't want to upshift just before a braking zone. My sweet spot is 4-6k and I tend to do all my performance driving there. I think max torque on my car is 4800 and it feels like it falls off a little above 6k so that is where I usually reach for another gear.
Yup, pretty much my findings exactly. I change up at 6k - it will rev out reasonably well 6k, but it is beginning to go off just a little, so I prefer not to wring it out all the way to the limiter. as you say, 4-6k is where it's at in the 2.5.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Oh Great! What's THAT gonna cost me??
LMFAO!! Spoken like a true Porsche owner!

I try to never let my revs drop under 3000, selecting a gear that keeps the steady-speed revs in the 3000 to 3500 range. I ease it away in first, shifting around 4 or 5, and then wind it out through the rest of the gears. It is not uncommon to get a reminder from the rev limiter that maybe I should shift now.

I seem to average about 25 to 28 imp. mpg.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 AM   #27

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Ahh silly Europeans and your different MPG measuring and fuel octanes. Us in America can manage maybe 22 MPG on the combined cycle if we drive like grandma's........
Had a real Grandma weekend, drove at around the 80-85mph mark North up our M1 Motorway on Saturday, then back on the Sunday. Kept it at this to see how the range of the tank worked out.....320 miles with a further 42 miles to empty. That was however on the higher octane unleaded which I switched to a month ago. Didn't want to push it to 360 miles in case I sucked a load of crap into the car.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 AM   #28

I had a nice 911 coupe several years back with a tip. I took it up to Riverside CA and back on a trip. Steady 75 or 80 both ways.

28 MPG. I thought that was pretty good with the A/C on all the way.

Economy car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I had a nice 911 coupe several years back with a tip. I took it up to Riverside CA and back on a trip. Steady 75 or 80 both ways. 28 MPG. I thought that was pretty good with the A/C on all the way....
It's great to know we can ring it's neck in Manual and enjoy the rush 6500-7000 revs delivers, at the cost of some fuel, or drive sedately in Auto and get 27-28 MPG......what a brilliant sports car!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #30

If you're not bouncing off the rev limiter, you're doing it wrong.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #31

Whether I redline or not depends on if my wife is in the car....

Just did a trip frm Central PA to Lancaster and back last weekend. Calculated the milage at 26 mpg.
backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by backman_z
Whether I redline or not depends on if my wife is in the car....

Just did a trip frm Central PA to Lancaster and back last weekend. Calculated the milage at 26 mpg.

I swear my car runs better after getting redlined a bunch (compared to spending a few years lugging around a bit).

I don't think I've broken the 25mpg barrier yet, but it's 11 years old, hasn't had a 60k service yet (57k miles), and I'm generally keeping it above 3000 rpms with the top down...

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote