Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland
Posts: 6
Newbe with questions!

Bought a 2006 boxster yesterday and have questions which may have been answered before!
Do you use super unleaded or is the car happy with unleaded. I did read in the manual that the management system adjustes for unleaded but what are your views?

Checked the car and it has had two services but they are not porsche. It has 27k miles . Service at 13k and one by the dealer who sold it to me/new pads etc. Would you drive it for a few months and then get it serviced in a porsche dealership after doing maybe 7k miles? Should i save up and do check/service as soon as possible in main dealer? think i may have boobed in this area. Not as if not knowlegable as 17th car but never a porsche. Was treating myself after divorce!!

Rear tyres needed soon! Quoated 280 for pirellis. Fair price?

Going to use it every day as sold golf and went for something totally out of character. Any advice?

Anyone from N Ireland on the site?

Thanks for anticipated replies!


Last edited by flops; 07-28-2010 at 07:26 AM.
flops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by flops
Bought a 2006 boxster yesterday and have questions which may have been answered before!
Do you use super unleaded or is the car happy with unleaded. I did read in the manual that the management system adjustes for unleaded but what are your views?

Checked the car and it has had two services but they are not porsche. It has 27k miles . Service at 13k and one by the dealer who sold it to me/new pads etc. Would you drive it for a few months and then get it serviced in a porsche dealership after doing maybe 7k miles? Should i save up and do check/service as soon as possible in main dealer? think i may have boobed in this area. Not as if not knowlegable as 17th car but never a porsche. Was treating myself after divorce!!

Rear tyres needed soon! Quoated 280 for pirellis. Fair price?

Going to use it every day as sold golf and went for something totally out of character. Any advice?

Anyone from N Ireland on the site?

Thanks for anticipated replies!
Can't say on the price of tires as most of us are in the US, but assuming they're 18s and doubling the priceas a rough exchange rate, that sounds more or less comparable.

I would run the car on the highest octane commonly available in your area. Should be 98 RON, though I have seen 99 and 100 RON in other parts of Europe? I'd run the 100 if I could get it. Our owner's manuals recommend 93 (R+M)/2 which corresponds roughly to 97-98 RON. I have run the car on 91 (R +M)/2 in Canada as it was all I could get; it ran fine, albeit with what I thought was slightly reduced performance. Yours is a relatively small motor with a rather high specific output - it needs to work hard to make that power so use the best gas you can get.

I would at least get the oil changed ASAP since you don't know when it happened (or was it 14,000 miles ago? - that is a pretty long interval and I think most if not all here would tell you a little too long) I would be comfortable with about a 7500 mile interval on that car, assuming it isn't taking you forever to accumulate that.

Sounds like the car has no factory or aftermarket warranty left; a pre-purchase inspection with Porsche or a trusted independent garage would have been a good idea; still it makes sense now to take it in to Porsche and see what's going on, though really, on a relatively young 987 where the miles are neither too high nor too low, there shouldn't be much going on other than what you mentioned - the need for new brakes and tires. Good luck with it and put up a picture.
__________________
_____________
2005 Boxster S
Arctic Silver/Black/Black
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,314
Welcome to the forum! And congrats on the divorce (or the resulting treat from it).

Not sure how premium and regular gas prices compare in NI, but in the US it probably only costs $5 more per tank to use premium than regular. If you can't afford 5 bucks, then you've got the wrong car.

Might want to also change the brake fluid. Enjoy your new purchase.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland
Posts: 6
Wow- your orange porsche looks cool.
Not the price but the difficulty of finding super unleaded on a forecourt. Will need to get details of last service to see exactly what was done re oils.
To all you Americans my daugher married an american last july in fayetteville,AR and their first child is due next week. Another member of the Dean family. Just thinking james dean/porsches. Hmmmn am i right- not a good combination?

Ta for replies. Loving the car and you dont need a radio as you listen to the note of the engine.
flops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,314
Thx. I wondered when I bought it 2.5 yrs ago if I would quickly flame out on the color. I love it more now than when I bought it.

As far as the Dean / Porsche thing, just steer clear of any 'Y' intersections at dusk and you should be alright.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 31
Hey There.

Hi, not in Northern Ireland, but a bit closer across the water in Bedfordshire, England. I have just bought a 2004 2.7 tiptronic S Boxster. I have been running it on the normal unleaded just because I have got in the habit of using this, but it probably makes sense to use the Super-unleaded with a Porsche so I think I'll change at the next refueling. Mine has a full Porsche Service History, with MOT's, Invoices etc and has a genuine 29k backed up by all the documentation. I was thinking about getting the pads checked as I hear these wear fairly quick. I'm not due a service for a while as it was done recently at 25k, but I am thinking of getting the next one done at a Porsche dealer, guess that will be 35k? STEVE.
BoxsterDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland
Posts: 6
Ta Steve. Called at the porsche centre in belfast and they will carry out a visual check for 120. Think I will have this done soon and then i will feel happier re the car. Have two documents for the two servces carried out by independant dealers but just want reassurance that all is ok. Will also use super unleaded in due course when I find the pump on the forecourt as I dont always use the same filling station.
Car is a joy to drive and i now dont want to listen to the radio as the engine note is so deep and sexy.
flops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 523
You might want to do a search on tires here. There are more reasonable tires than the Pirellis that perform very well.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
JTP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterDuke
Hi, not in Northern Ireland, but a bit closer across the water in Bedfordshire, England. I have just bought a 2004 2.7 tiptronic S Boxster.
Interesting, is the 2.7 S only sold in England? Is there an S option without the 3.4 engine for the 987?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 874
Re "Tiptronic S", not sure what the nomenclature is in the US, but in the UK that refers merely to the gearbox. So, pre PDK, you had the 2.5/2.7l Boxster Tiptronic S or the 3.2/3.4l Boxster S Tiptronic S, if you follow. Not that the gearbox is part of the actual name of the car any more than the manual box is.
__________________
Manual '00 3.2 S Arctic Silver
pothole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Posts: 31
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops
Ta Steve. Called at the porsche centre in belfast and they will carry out a visual check for 120. Think I will have this done soon and then i will feel happier re the car. Have two documents for the two servces carried out by independant dealers but just want reassurance that all is ok. Will also use super unleaded in due course when I find the pump on the forecourt as I dont always use the same filling station.
Car is a joy to drive and i now dont want to listen to the radio as the engine note is so deep and sexy.
Likewise, I think I just want the reassurance that all is well with the car, I shall be filling up with Super-unleaded in about 100 miles and agree that with the Boxster you don't need the radio/CD player on.....hmmmmm louder performance exhaust maybe??? I see the manual refers to an option for a sports exhaust.
BoxsterDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland
Posts: 6
Not ready for a sport exhaust yet! Did get the details of the last service sent to me by the dealer who has put new front pads on,changed oil,filter and topped up the coolant. Just now wondering re brake fluid as know on my golf had to be changed every two years.
Went and bought a Meguiars cleaning mit,car wash and drying cloth - am getting carried away !! Noticed 25% discount on pirellis at ATS - just dont need them yet. Do need some sun though as raining again in NI. My daugher says it is 40 degrees in USA.

flops is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page