Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Square 17" setup & Wheel worth talk

Hey all,

My boxster has a set of 18" turbo twist wheels (no, I can't tell if they are replicas or not...I haven't taken them off yet, what will tell me for certain?) with a set of michelin pilot sports on them that are brand new (Not PS2s, the original pilot sport). 225s up front, 265s in the rear

In addition, it has a set of 17" original twist wheels like that wrapped in brand new blizzaks.

My first question is, and I'm just looking for general knowledge here, would anyone venture a range as to what these setups would be worth in 7.5/10 condition (i.e. tires are great with lots of tread, wheels have some scuffs but are in good condition)?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering selling my current wheels/tires and buying a single set of 17" wheels in a square setup.

I'm thinking 17x8 or 17x8.5 and running 235 or 245 wide all around. Heck, I'd even run 225 all around, as I think that's more than enough meat on a 2800 pound, 200 HP small displacement flat six.

Does anyone know of a boxster owner running such a setup, have any recommendations on wheels, wheel sizes, or tire sizes? Any idea of what will fit comfortably?

I want to be able to rotate tires, i want to reduce unsprung mass, and I want to increase my sidewall height a bit.

My boxster is running bilstein dampers all the way around, and combined with the pilot sports I think it's not fluid enough when taking bumps in corners. It feels like it wants to "skitter". Also, ride quality isn't harsh but it is a bit jarring.

Any and all insights or recommendations in selling the current stuff and getting into a combination that is more right for me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Joe

JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #2

Porsche part number stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA

...no, I can't tell if they are replicas or not...I haven't taken them off yet, what will tell me for certain?...
The Porsche part number will be stamped on the inside of the wheel. Some example part numbers below from http://www.986faq.com

pschaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #3

Thanks for that. Anyone know anywhere I could pick up 4 Sport Classic's in 17x8.5, and would they fit on the front?

I love the look of those on boxsters, though if they were pricey I'd certainly look for another quality-made wheel to fit the same bill.

Can anyone give me an idea what a set of Boxster Design (2nd down on that table) in 17x7 * 17x8.5 go for on the open market? Maybe it's just me, but I've had a hard time gauging these things.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Joe prices will be all over the place but one thing you need to remember is that your never going to find a "set". You will have to mix and match in order to get the square setup your looking for specially if you are looking for 2nd hand stuff. Chances are you wil have to end up with two sets of the same wheels then have to try and sell off the second square set which will probably be difficult to do.

Keep your eyes on CR and Ebay for sets of 2... It may take some time but that will be the cheapest way to get the setup your looking for without ending up with 8 wheels...
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

Hi Trigem,

Thanks for the feedback. I am open to buying aftermarket wheels, as long as they are affordable quality (yes, I know that's almost an oxymoron!).

I'm looking for advice and knowledge honestly...if I go aftermarket, I want to make sure the offset is appropriate and that it's hub centric (does that matter on Porsche's lug bolts?)...

Guess I'll start probing for what people would be willing to pay for my setups, while I'm looking at what's out there.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #6

Look hard enough and you might get lucky. I certainly did when I bought 4 OEM 17x8.5 from one of the board members here last month. With all Spec boxsters racers moving towards square setup despite the regulations, rears are getting hard to come by.
Replicas are usually 4-5lbs heavier to that will void your desire to reduce unsprung mass.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #7

Hi 986ForyEight, pleasure meeting you, and hope they work out for a great season!

I made his OEM set from my two Boxsters, they are for sale, but rarely! Our deal also worked out well since we were local.

Good luck with your search Joe!
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #8

PM sent to Joe of PA.

Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote