View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
JoeFromPA

Square 17" setup & Wheel worth talk

Hey all,

My boxster has a set of 18" turbo twist wheels (no, I can't tell if they are replicas or not...I haven't taken them off yet, what will tell me for certain?) with a set of michelin pilot sports on them that are brand new (Not PS2s, the original pilot sport). 225s up front, 265s in the rear

In addition, it has a set of 17" original twist wheels like that wrapped in brand new blizzaks.

My first question is, and I'm just looking for general knowledge here, would anyone venture a range as to what these setups would be worth in 7.5/10 condition (i.e. tires are great with lots of tread, wheels have some scuffs but are in good condition)?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering selling my current wheels/tires and buying a single set of 17" wheels in a square setup.

I'm thinking 17x8 or 17x8.5 and running 235 or 245 wide all around. Heck, I'd even run 225 all around, as I think that's more than enough meat on a 2800 pound, 200 HP small displacement flat six.

Does anyone know of a boxster owner running such a setup, have any recommendations on wheels, wheel sizes, or tire sizes? Any idea of what will fit comfortably?

I want to be able to rotate tires, i want to reduce unsprung mass, and I want to increase my sidewall height a bit.

My boxster is running bilstein dampers all the way around, and combined with the pilot sports I think it's not fluid enough when taking bumps in corners. It feels like it wants to "skitter". Also, ride quality isn't harsh but it is a bit jarring.

Any and all insights or recommendations in selling the current stuff and getting into a combination that is more right for me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Joe
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote