Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

How to make your engine sound more like a boxer?

Not too loud, but something more than stock w/o spending too much money. I somehow lke the WRX's sound...

Last edited by edbelton; 07-17-2010 at 04:06 PM.
edbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Pat

It's not going to sound like a WRX regardless of what you do to it. Ours has six cylinders, while the WRX has four. Search for various aftermarket exhaust video clips for our cars. That's pretty much what you can end up with.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #3

Cordless drill, 1/4" drill bit and about 400 holes.
Did you need to pass any emissions testing?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #4

You do nothing since it already sounds like a boxer.

Subaru's don't sound like that because of cylinder count or engine layout. That's a common misconception. They sound like that due to unequal length exhaust manifolds. Listen to an Sti with equal length headers/manifold and the "burble" is gone.

I agree I like the sound of the suby's though
5:04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #5

Must confess... I thought the wrx was the real boxer sound and by adding two more cylinders would make it incredibly pleasant...
So the stock boxster sounds like a real boxer engine? It just makes that vacuum type noise, but that is only at low revs ))
Old 07-18-2010, 03:17 AM   #6

My Fiat four is louder too, I think it's funny you are trying to get a Porsche to sound like a Subie. If you wanted a louder Porsche you should have chosen an old school air cooled unit with suitable aftermarket mufflers.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think he's just confused about the sound emanating from the engine vs the exhaust. The sound you're referring to comes more from the exhaust tuning, not the engine layout. For example, Nissan used basically the same exact 3.5L v6 in their 350z sports car and their Maxima, but the Maxima's exhaust is tuned to be sedan like quiet, whereas the Z is tuned to sound aggressive at low revs to make that growl you always hear when they drive by.

Similarly, the Subaru WRX's exhaust is tuned to sound more aggressive than say, their Legacy sedan. With the flat 4 engine in the Legacy, you don't notice that same burble you do when a WRX drives by right? So you are confusing an engine type with an exhaust tune. If you like a more aggressive exhaust tune, get a different exhaust for your Boxster.

The early Boxsters in particular (97-02), had extremely wimpy sounding exhaust tuning (unless you ordered their PSE). After 03, Porsche started tuning their exhausts to sound a little more sportscarzy. In my opinion, Porsche should've just supplied every car standard with their PSE system...I mean, why should you have to pay extra for the car to sound like a sports car?...Nissan doesn't charge extra for their nice sounding Z exhaust...it comes standard with the sports car, but no...Porsche needs to upcharge their customers.

I also hated the sedate sound from my 01's basic muffler, and my wife hated the drone from my pal's GHL, so I compromised and put on a Dansk exhaust that wasn't as loud as the GHL, but still had a little more bark without any drone that I could detect....

Check out the goofy video I took:
Dansk Exhaust Video

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 07-18-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Cordless drill, 1/4" drill bit and about 400 holes.
Did you need to pass any emissions testing?
i was gonna say something like that.....on another note [pun intended] isnt there a sliding clamp trick to give it an exhaust leak
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
i was gonna say something like that.....on another note [pun intended] isnt there a sliding clamp trick to give it an exhaust leak
That sliding clamp trick is used on the 987 exhausts with the dual cannisters, not the 986 single can units.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #10

my bad.....
Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
my bad.....
Not your fault....you got one of em fancy new 987s.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #12

Exhaust sound was just one more reason I preferred the 987.
My 06 S sounds much, MUCH better than any of the 986's I drove, but post 03/04 986S did sound better than earlier models.
Call me crazy, go ahead, it's okay ( ) but it's not that the exhaust is louder, it just has more rasp and character and sounds a bit more like older air cooled 911's.
My favorite was always my '70 914/6. It had the same muffler as a 911, but I guess the different piping made it more raspy, almost like tearing a big piece of canvas.

I really wish we had some sort of dump system so I could blast the next **************************** on a two wheel tractor (Harley-Davidson) I have to sit next to at a stop light. I guess they think 'cause I'm sitting in a sports-car with the top down, I'm gonna like the sound of a puking two cylinder tractor with open pipes.
If we start running them all off the road, will they stop that "loud pipes save lives" BS?

How many miles could I get away with driving my Box with open exhaust?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #13

Garage
here is a video of my exhaust it was pretty cheap. about 40 dollars for some bent pipe to delete the cats and some time getting it in.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
My 06 S sounds much, MUCH better than any of the 986's I drove, but post 03/04 986S did sound better than earlier models.
Call me crazy, go ahead, it's okay ( ) but it's not that the exhaust is louder, it just has more rasp and character and sounds a bit more like older air cooled 911's.
My favorite was always my '70 914/6. It had the same muffler as a 911, but I guess the different piping made it more raspy, almost like tearing a big piece of canvas.

I really wish we had some sort of dump system so I could blast the next **************************** on a two wheel tractor (Harley-Davidson) I have to sit next to at a stop light. I guess they think 'cause I'm sitting in a sports-car with the top down, I'm gonna like the sound of a puking two cylinder tractor with open pipes.
If we start running them all off the road, will they stop that "loud pipes save lives" BS?

+1 on the tractor rant
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Have you not seen the South Park episode on Harley riding fags?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #16

why not tell the biker at the light how loud and gay he is ......let us know how it turns out
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #17

It is good enough for me, will there be any issue with o2 sensor?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #18

Quote:

birds poop on my car less than you...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
why not tell the biker at the light how loud and gay he is ......let us know how it turns out
I've told many, by actual words and sticking my fingers in my ear with a dirty look.
I'm not the least bit intimidated by "bikers." Most are really stock brokers and accountants, anyway.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
birds poop on my car less than you...

no insult intended, 8's