Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
What kind of headlights are these?

I just bought these from another forum member so I can deamber my Boxster. I was looking at them and they appear to be different than other headlights I have seen, the inside of the light if not like my current headlights. Can anyone identify these?
Also, how do I get rid of the orange in the picture? Is that just the bulb?
Thanks!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:52 AM   #2

Litronics

Those are the more expensive Litronic headlights. The amber you see comes from a clear amber plastic shield in front of the clear bulb. This can be removed and a silver bulb that blinks amber can be installed. Tricky process to remove amber shield with use of a soldering iron and 'skill'. This will completely remove all amber from front end but will make the lights no longer stock and less desirable if you want to sell them in the future unless you can find another enthusiast. You realize you must now buy the clear triangular corners to complete the look, around $33 I believe or possibly less if you keep up with the sale stuff. Also those Litronic lights have an extra leveling device that you can or cannot install depending on your needs. There are others on this list with a lot more knowledge and answers that I can provide and I am sure they will be getting back to you soon.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You're kidding right? I can't believe that these are litronic's, or at least not for what I paid for them. I'm surprised I didn't notice earlier, but I have never seen litronics up close. Don't litronic's normally sell for a lot? Is their a big difference between these and the regular headlights?
Thanks!

Last edited by rick3000; 05-31-2009 at 07:12 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Fred Demara

when you deal with Fred Demara, you get only the best, at rock bottom prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Don't litronic's normally sell for a lot? :
Old 05-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks, it's a pleasant surprise!
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #6

enjoy the lightronics. SOOOOO much better.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Thanks, it's a pleasant surprise!
New litronics now sell for $2300, so it sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats!

I can't believe they go for this much now!: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004490041&Category_Code=986lights

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-31-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #8

You will love those headlamps. I left my orange bits in because I can't stand the thought of melting them out with a soldering iron and messing up the lamps from inside. If you put them on you'll hardly notice it and soon won't care.

Do get the control box installed properly so the lamps function fully though (rotating upward when you hit your high beams). That is a very cool feature you should not live without. As a Porsche owner, you deserve it all.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I just contacted Fred, and he is going to get me the wiring harness and control plug/box so I can hook them up properly. I look forward to installing them.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #10

The amberectomy, as they call it, is simple. I did it on both sets of litronics that I have owned with great result.. no prior experience in melting out parts of headlights either!

Trust me, you will be glad you did it, it helps the look a lot.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #11

The amberectomy is easy, 20 min per side, this includes taking them light off the car and putting back on. Just melt and pull with needle nose pliers.

Some pics of my car with the amberectomy:

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #12

I never installed my wiring kit. Litronics will work fine without it. They pop right in and all you have to do is adjust the height of the bulb if its pointing up too high.

I picked up my set in a Brandywine group buy in 2005 for $1,200 I think. That was after buying a set of 996 clear halogens for $600 which I sold for break even. I don't think you can buy the ambers for that much now. Not sure why these prices went up so high. The Euro went up, way up but that didn't seem to affect other 996/986 parts...well not to the tune of a 100% increase. I guess they've become harder to come by.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #13

The issue isn't whether the lamps will not function without the wiring harness and control box... it's that there's another level of functionality you're missing without it.

It's not a huge deal though. I'd be fine without the control box to aim the xenons upward for high-beam viewing. It's just very cool

The guy I bought mine from said he was buying a dozen pairs at a time for sale on eBay and was told by his supplier that the well was about to run dry. Porsche was going to stop making them and they would skyrocket in price.

I can't imagine Porsche would stop making them though if there's any sort of demand for them. People wreck their 996/986's from time to time and need new headlamps as well as all the guys like us who want an amber free lighting upgrade.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #14

^man that would suck if I had an errant rock or screw crater one of my Litronics and I had to pay the obscene $1000 deductible or whatever you call it when you pay to kick in your insurance claim. Then of course they'll raise my insurance to get back the $1000. I'm better off just coughing up the $2K for a new set.
I better cover them in that thick vinyl stuff I had on my clear halogens.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #15

^That'll be a hell of a rock and you're better off getting a pair of new glasses so you can see the dump truck ahead of ya!

Truth is it's too late to put a 3M bra on it if you didn't do it when you get the car brand new.

I just polish my lens with this stuff so it doesn't go yellow on me.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #16

^ I had a set of precut 4mm thick clear film that went over just the headlights.
I ordered it from Eagleday. Similar to this LINK
Old 06-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The issue isn't whether the lamps will not function without the wiring harness and control box... it's that there's another level of functionality you're missing without it.

It's not a huge deal though. I'd be fine without the control box to aim the xenons upward for high-beam viewing. It's just very cool

The guy I bought mine from said he was buying a dozen pairs at a time for sale on eBay and was told by his supplier that the well was about to run dry. Porsche was going to stop making them and they would skyrocket in price.

I can't imagine Porsche would stop making them though if there's any sort of demand for them. People wreck their 996/986's from time to time and need new headlamps as well as all the guys like us who want an amber free lighting upgrade.
Porsche never really made these headlights in the first place, they designed them and sell them through their dealership. The actual manufacturer will surely continue to make them or sell the tooling to some manufacturer who will. I highly doubt the production of headlights for 986/996s is anywhere near over. Heck, you can still get new lenses for the 356!
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to BoxsterBreacher
Looking for Litronics

I know this is an old post but I am looking for a set of Litronics. Fred, do you have any more at rock bottom prices? They look great, deambered or not, but they certainly are not worth $2600. That is insanity! Has anyone seen any aftermarket headlights? I have seen plenty of tail lights but not a single headlight. Thanks for the help!

BoxsterBreacher is offline   Reply With Quote