Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Ghost in the machine...

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate ANY theories on this. Even really vague ones!

I drive along, windows and roof are up - without warning the windows will drop, all the way down. At the same time the windows drop down, the courtesy light comes on as if the door has been opened. I use the window switches to do them back up, and when they're all the way up, the courtesy light goes off again. WTF???

Why would the windows going down activate the courtesy light?

The centre console microswitch assembly - I replaced that already, but in theory that would only cause the windows to drop a couple of inches before the roof comes down - not all the way.

I thought maybe an inertia switch, that drops the windows and puts the light on in the event of an accident....but surely that would cut the engine too?

I stripped the door down today to see if there was anything obvious with the door handle/lock mechanism. It works fine, and I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I check this on the basis of maybe the facility that when you turn your key all the way to the right/left for XX seconds it's meant to do the windows up or down. Although mine doesn't seem to work.......

:ah:

willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #2

Is there anywhere you could get an OBDII read just to see if it threw a code? I'll volunteer to look it up in the Bentley book for you if you retrieve one.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

Thanks, that's really kind of you, but unfortunately I have an ODBII scanner (the generic type), and there were no fault codes stored.

It's almost like, whatever is happening is happening as part of a normal car function....if you see what I mean?

Just trying to pinpoint what 'normal' car functions would cause these symptoms is really hard though...

Thanks anyway!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #4

although its a BMW Z4 [wifes] it has the feature of turn and hold key ....the top does its thing [up or down] the windows go up or down [depending on what you want the system to do] i,ll guess it has a controll module for this function and yours is getting a signal [wrongly] to take this action. does it do it if you go over a bump/turns etc. you could try discoing the door electrics and ride around or find [if app] the controll module and tap on it etc. the beemers inside lights come on when the system is working
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #5

To dovetail onto the last post, the connections to all the modules should be checked, might get lucky.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
To dovetail onto the last post, the connections to all the modules should be checked, might get lucky.
good call i forgot to say that
Old 05-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #7

Here in TO I store the Box in winter. I have had my windows drop on me after trying to open the car with a dying battery....and they stay down/open until I can actuate them back up a charged batt. Very annoying.....the car is open until you can the battery charged.......
....yes I would use a tender only there is no outlet in this storage place.

I have not had the light come on and stay on.....

Maybe you could check your battery to see if all is well. A load test will show problems
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 AM   #8

What year?
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #9

Garage
Sounds like a programmable super unlock feature that many cars have. They created it to be able to push the key fob and have all the windows come down for hot summer days. Search in the direction of the anti theft alarm/autolock/key fob/imobilizer.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #10

I think you're on the right track with the door switch. There's no safety or security function that opens the windows. Taking the key to the open position for >5 seconds will roll the windows down. They stop as soon as you release the key.

There are a few things that cause them to drop an inch: top release open, door handles pulled. The alarm control module interfaces with the door switch, but the door switch looks to be directly connected to the PW motors. I would guess the switch in the door is bad, and is shorting out when it gets jarred. If it was a loose connection or an open in the connections then it shouldn't work or do anything.

Last edited by ARModen; 05-10-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #11

It's a late '99.

I might have another crack at the door handle/lock, I couldn't actually get the handle assembly out yesterday, and it was going dark, so I was checking most things by 'feel' and torchlight.

I'm guessing there won't be much to do apart from change the unit, or the entire door knowing Porsche
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #12

I'd guess this is probably the item you need:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=8N1-837-015-C-M100&catalog_description=Door%20Lock%20Mechanism%20Left %2C%20Boxster%2FBoxster%20S%20%281998-04%29%2C%20Each

So not too bad. I haven't taken my doors apart ever, although it's on on my list of things to do. I have a bad window motor on the passenger side that needs sorting out. I'd hope that replacing the whole assembly is worst case. It could be frayed wires shorting together or getting pinched by the window or such. I'd imagine the lock (tumblers part) will be transferrable from the old assembly to the new assembly, but that'd be a good thing to check before you do too much.

Last edited by ARModen; 05-10-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #13

be advised...when you are working inside the door that glitch might occurr,bringing the window down and catching your hand
Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by extanker
be advised...when you are working inside the door that glitch might occurr,bringing the window down and catching your hand
Yeah....I was trying to work on it with that in mind for a while, but in the end bottled out and disconnected the battery