View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
willd

Ghost in the machine...

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate ANY theories on this. Even really vague ones!

I drive along, windows and roof are up - without warning the windows will drop, all the way down. At the same time the windows drop down, the courtesy light comes on as if the door has been opened. I use the window switches to do them back up, and when they're all the way up, the courtesy light goes off again. WTF???

Why would the windows going down activate the courtesy light?

The centre console microswitch assembly - I replaced that already, but in theory that would only cause the windows to drop a couple of inches before the roof comes down - not all the way.

I thought maybe an inertia switch, that drops the windows and puts the light on in the event of an accident....but surely that would cut the engine too?

I stripped the door down today to see if there was anything obvious with the door handle/lock mechanism. It works fine, and I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. I check this on the basis of maybe the facility that when you turn your key all the way to the right/left for XX seconds it's meant to do the windows up or down. Although mine doesn't seem to work.......

:ah:
willd is offline   Reply With Quote