Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #1

Top not activating

I put my top down and went for a drive. Now its not activating. The park light will not turn on when I engage the break, but the bulb turns on on startup. I think I need to replace the switch. Anyone know how to proceed? I have no garage so this is very important. Thanks.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #2

If you remove the oddments tray/ashtray from the console, you will see the switch back in there. Try jiggling the wires going to the switch - sometimes it works. If not, then a new switch is under $5 from Pelican and your Bentley should tell you how to remove the console if you need help with that.

Also, do a search in this forum - the topic has been addressed a few times and you should be able to find some good info.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #3

Shortly after I posted, I did order one from Pelican since it was the only possible thing I could think of. It was about $8 with it being sent snail mail. That will only take a year since they are in cali and I'm in central florida. I did put the top up manually after some tinkering. I would rather spend the $8 to know for sure that my switch is good rather than having to go through that again.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #4

Pelican an online auto parts? if so, what is the website? any other online places to purchase parts for boxster?
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T
Pelican an online auto parts? if so, what is the website? any other online places to purchase parts for boxster?

www.pelicanparts.com

You can also get a limited set of parts from www.************************************************************

In my experience, both outfits have excellent customer service, and ********************************az offers free shipping on orders over $50.00.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #6

You perhaps did not have to put your top up manually. There was a post recently (I forget the author) but apparently the top operation is tied to the park brake light, not the switch, and you can operate the top briefly when all the dash lights come on when you first turn the key. It may take a few turns of the key to get the top all the way up but it is a good workaround in a pinch.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #7

I'm pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work. Anyone else want to test that?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #8

press and hold on handbrake and pull it up and down hard about 5-6 times.....works for me. could be just dirty switch
eddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #9

just because it is an emergency, you can get a wire, strip both ends, and connect the two wires, this will bypass the switch, the light should turn on, top up. replace switch when you have it.
if you force the top manually, you need to undo the motor, or you could damage it.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #10

I got my new switch in and installed it today. It's working now In the process, I ended up breaking a piece of trim. Luckily, it is not something you could ever notice unless you were working on the car, but I'm pissed nonetheless. I was following the guide found here:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/parking_brake_switch/

and all seemed to be going well except for this one screw that I couldn't locate. It's the one on the top where the picture shows three red circled screws. I had a fan looking piece located there and it's not like in the picture. I tried removing that piece but part of it snapped off in the process. Additionally, when I removed the whole console, I consequently saw the screw but I don't know how I could have even got to it. Does anybody else see this screw when you lift up your rear console or is there a piece that looks like it's blocking the way like on mine. I have a 2000 boxster s if that matters.

If so, what is that piece even used for?
Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #11

Does anyone know what it's for?