Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

Top Replacement

As anyone replaced their top by themselves? Thinking of replacing my 97 Boxster's top.

manxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #2

Several posts on it, do a search and have fun reading. Sounded hard to me so I went ahead and paid for it.....being in LA I recommend that you talk with GAHH since their shop is local. I took my car down to them and they did a great job installing a new top with glass and defroster!
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #3

You should find a DIY here.
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

Thanks Guys!

Great tips and sites to check out!
manxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #5

I'm going to tackle this job this coming weekend. I have a top I bought from Prestige in England. I'll post after it's done and let you know how it went.

Mark
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman
As anyone replaced their top by themselves? Thinking of replacing my 97 Boxster's top.
I installed mine by myself a couple of years ago, using and adding to the write up that was originally started by Fred Adler, and I have repaired a few tops for friends. It's definitely doable if you have some mechanical ability, a lot of patience, and don't cut any corners.

Get all of the parts you need to complete the installation beforehand so that you don't end up having to stop and wait for parts. Since yours is a '97, the "mushrooms" on the clamping rails will be difficult to remove without breaking them, but not impossible. You should also line up some double sided tape and some material to make up your own foam seals.

It will all make sense once you read the DIY and then dive in. Be prepared for a fairly long day, so pick a nice day so that you can enjoy the work. It's very rewarding once you step back and take a look at your handiwork for the first time.

Take a few before and after pics and post them here. We like pictures!

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #7

I did my top

I just recently (4 months ago) replaced my top with a GAHH glass window with defroster. It was definately time consuming and I will echo the other posts to have all the necessary supplies before you tear into it.

It took me and my wife all day to do the top. Be careful to watch how you take things apart because it gets exciting to see it come off so fast and the install is anything but fast.

Be patient and follow all instructions. Again I agree that once you stand back and look at it it is very impressive. Its also impressive when you get into your first rain storm without any leaks.

Last edited by 97 Boxster; 04-29-2010 at 06:40 AM.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

Has anyone put together a comprehensive list of everything you should have on hand before you start?
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #9

I think it depends on which top you choose. My instructions had a list of parts/supplies that were needed to complete the job. In fact once I purchased my top online it sent me instructions instantly via email and it listed all that I would need so I could order the supplies and check my toolbox for the right stuff. Good idea to plan ahead. You dont want to start until you have all that is required and then some....

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote