Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #1

Replace AOS = Triptronic Trans Problem?

I spent this past weekend replacing a 70k mile AOS and when complete, drove car about 8 miles. All good..idle steady, lack of smoke, shifting well. Demonstrated my love/hate relationship by giving her a good wash and parked in the garage over night. This morning went out, started car, idle steady, no smoke, put into reverse and car will not move! Put car in forward and noticed she went right to 5th gear and would crawl. Put back in reverse and nothing. Had to leave for work so went for other car. Anyone have any ideas? When I get home will check for vacum leaks (at least this is the direction I believe I may need to go) Please help with any suggestions????

DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #2

additional info...

I should also mention, when i shift the trip into manual .... I cannot shift down from 5th gear with the paddle shifters?????
DRL hack
Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #3

were all hoses connected back up?
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #4

Update

Although I believe that I connected all hoses correctly, that is my starting point when I get home tonight. As mentioned I did drive it for about 8 miles after I put everything back together. Ran fine, actually replaced the AOS just for fun. Although I have owned the car for only 3k, I thought with 67k on it, I would follow the ounce of prevention lbs of cure route. Now with the "no good deed goes unpunished" reprisal....it stings....

Is the trip on a vacum system or electrical system?

Ok, getting stranger....Last night I started engine....Idle perfect, no smoke,etc. Put car in Reverse and it shows 5th gear, no movement. I put car in Drive and goes to 5th gear (will crawl) but after I let the car warm up to around 180 degrees. I was able to put car in drive and with the paddle shifters click down through the gears (but only in Drive) The paddles responded slow but I was able to run the chain 5-4-3-2. Put car in Reverse and cannot paddle through the gears, stays in 5th gear, and will not move.

I did wash the engine after I installed the AOS.s Does anyone know if the shifting is controlled electronically or by vacuum?
DRL hack

Last edited by boxzilla; 04-13-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: updating information
Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #5

My guess would be the transmission switch. This is located at the side of the box and is easily gunked up with oil, grease, mud, etc.

The actual shifting is a combination of solenoids, vac & fluid pressure. But gear selection is a function of this switch.

During your work, it could have been disturbed accidentally, or it may just be a coincidence, but I'm betting that's your problem.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-13-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #6

Lil bastard ~ I think your on to something.. When you say the switch is "on the side of the box" Where might you be referring to? On the side of the trans ? near the rear driver side wheel well? I did wash the engine and sprayed the underside of the car to clean any oil from the oil filter area, I may have disrupted something?? :ah:

DRL hack