Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Radiator Leak 2003 Boxster S

I was driving from Home (S.F.) to Work (San Jose) about 10 miles from work the coolant light started to flash and the computer stated check coolant level. I kept an eye on the temp and it stayed at 180. When I pulled into my work there was steam and radiator fluid dripping down. I've had the car a year, driven about 1500 miles, it has 75,000. I've fixed all my cars for the last 25 years. Before I start the process any recommendations, comments?

JamesBorisPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #2

if the coolant temp stayed the same, i might rule out the thermostat, but if you have to refill a lot or replace parts , i would replace it.

I would check all hoses and their connections and then the radiator. find where the leak is and replace.

was the cooland leaking from the front of the car or the rear?

I know there are one or two hoses that hang out near the bottom of the car below the motor on the passenger side. Mine looks a little weathered and is scheduled to be replaced at some point to prevent failure.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #3

Boxster Radiator Leak

The fluid was coming out from under the Engine and over the rear passenger tire. I'm going to buy the Bently Service Manual and see about checking out the reserve and over the engine. I have not taken the engine cover off but I might as well get into it.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #4

Due to where your car was dumping...

... coolant you may not have an issue at all.
What seems to have happened, according to your description, is that the coolant vented due to air in the system.
The one issue I would look for is for any coolant under the rear trunk carpet.
If it's wet, then you need to replace the coolant reservoir.
If it's dry, take a look at your coolant cap's part number. If the last 2 digits are 00, 01 or 02 go to the dealer and buy a new one.
To refill your coolant system, you can follow these instructions.
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Install_3rd_Radiator_%26_Coolant_System_Bleeding_I nstructions.html
Go about half way down the page to find the coolant air bleeding instructions.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #5

Boxster Radiator Leak

Thank you, there was quite a lot of fluid dripping out, I would say about two quarts, there was no fluid or smell in the truck. I started to try to figure out how to look at the reservoir but it was too hard without a book. I will try to fill up the fluid and check for leaks, if none I will go with your advise. Should I go with the Porsche Radiator Fluid or would a good quality fluid suffice?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #6

Stick with the Porsche fluid. It's more, but not that much more, and there's no question that it won't cause a problem. IMO, this is not the place to try and save $20-$30 with off brand or name brand fluid you think might work just as well. Lots of debate on this forum, but I say why take a chance?

If it's been a couple of years since your fluid's been flushed, you're probably due anyway. What Porsche claims is "lifetime" fluid really isn't.

With 75k miles you should seriously consider installing a new water pump while you're in there, assuming it's original. Yours is likely on borrowed time and installation is really easy. Sunset Imports has OEM units for ~$200. Yes, you can find them for half that on eBay and other places. Again, I'm not sure this is the place to save $75-$100.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #7

2003 Boxster S Radiator Leak

Excellent advise, I will go with the Porsche radiator fluid, I ordered the Bently Manual today and will proceed to work on the car. It is a very beautiful car and I love driving it, it's the best car I have ever had and don't mind putting money into it.