Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

Need squeak location assistance

I put new roller bearings and a belt on but the strange squeak is still there. It sounds like a rotational squeak only occuring at one spot during said rotation and manifesting as a momentary squeak when it comes around to that spot. It sounds loudest through the side intake and is always only at idle. Sounds like a cheap POS, runs great though. holy schnikies is it fast with headers and an underpulley, the power comes on so seamlessly and like a freight train.

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #2

I'm assuming you are referring to the belt driving the accessories...
If you have changed the belt and the idler / tenioner pulley bearings, then the squeal must be coming from the water pump, alternator, air con compressor or power steering pump.
If you disconnect the belt, does the noise go away - if not, its something else - like maybe the AOS starting to go.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Does the AOS have any moving parts? It sounds like a momentary squeak, sounds like a spot on a rotating wheel, intermittent and subject to low rpm. I checked the water pump seemed great, the noise is definitely on the LR closer to the intake so I'm thinking PS pump noise. I will check again tomorrow with all the covers off. I checked the pentosin and at first it looked low, but the cold low level barely touches the stem.

thanks

Last edited by eightsandaces; 04-02-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

Eight,
If the squeak is on the L/H side I doubt its the AOS as that's on thr R/H side.
If you uncouple the belt with cold engine, run the engine for a few seconds without the accessories being turned and see if the noise dissappears.
Dont run it too long though as the coolant pump is now stopped......
Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Eight,
If the squeak is on the L/H side I doubt its the AOS as that's on thr R/H side.
If you uncouple the belt with cold engine, run the engine for a few seconds without the accessories being turned and see if the noise dissappears.
Dont run it too long though as the coolant pump is now stopped......

I'm going to carefully disassemble it this morning and attempt to locate it, I'm tempted to put a bit more pertosin in as I have checked the accessories twice already. It seldom works long but perhaps some shaft lubrication will knock it out.

EDIT HELP:

It's none of that stuff, can anyone tell me if the A/O separator is capable of making a noise?

Last edited by eightsandaces; 04-03-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #6

Found it!

from another BB:

Now you wont believe this!!, without doubt this is the Air/Oil separator, told you you wouldnt believe it.

This is the valve inside the AOS and only emits the noise when on overrun in the early stages of failure, open the throttle and it goes away, at idle it sounds like the idler bearing squeeking.

This is exactly what the bastid is doing...