Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

1200 miles from home and i think i have a problem

was driving back to the hotel this afternoon and all of a sudden, i hear this rumbling sound. i slowed down and it seemed to get a little worse. i sped up and it seemed to go away. after pulling off the interstate, it came back when i slowed down.

back at the hotel i park and everything seems fine. i push the accelerator and it felt like my seat started vibrating. anyway, between 1200 - 2000 RPM there's quite the vibration ( sitting still, not driving ). i'm thinking engine mount. under 1200 / just idling no noise / vibration. over 2000, just fine.

i like dallas, but i was planning to start my drive back home tomorrow.

01' Base Tip w/ 75k miles.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 03-30-2010 at 11:33 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #2

It could be as simple as something like a spark plug or a coil pack breaking down - the engine firing on only 5 not 6 cylinders.
If your CEL is not illuminated, perhaps you could get the OBD checked out brfore you head for home.....
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 AM   #3

You experience no vibration at all while at speed? If it's the front mount you will notice it coming off throttle on down hill sections, it will feel like a momentary buck. IMO, if it is the mount it would be problematic under way as well. It could be one of the two rear mounts, I would make sure it's not in the engine itself, I would also call back to the dealer who sold it and tell them what you're experiencing in case they were under it and have some clue as to the problem, good luck 1200 is a lot but I'll bet you'll be fine.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

Up at Stuttgart in Dallas. They've confirmed it's the engine mount. Just have to wait until the car cools down to move some hoses and for the part to arrive from Fort Worth.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

Always a bummer to break down away from home. Sounds like everything is now under control. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #6

Are you stuck at Stuttgart right now? Want to get lunch while they fix the car? I am about 20 minutes away and can pick you up.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #7

Yes, I'm here now. Sent PM, but lunch sounds great. No big hurry, the part won't get here until 1. Duh, I'm at the one off Merrell / Walnut Hill.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #8

Tony, great meeting you today. Hope the new mount works better and you have a safe trip home.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #9

so far so good. they were just putting the underbody panel back on when we pulled in. and now the rattle noise that's always been there when the car started is gone. i always assumed it was just the engine. now i know.

thanks again for the lunch trip.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #10

Those pesky motore mounts. Glad it was an easy fix!
Chris
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #11

Glad you were able to get it sorted without too much trouble.

Given the amount that these things fail, I think the motor mount and belt pulleys should be added to Porsche's list of things to just replace at the 30k service. I just did mine (at home) at 30k. The motor mount was just starting to tear, and two of the three pulleys had less-than-perfect bearings.

So much more fun to do these things as a leisurely Sunday afternoon "upgrade" than an unexpected pitstop.

Happy motoring!

roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote