Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #1

Lightbulb Rattles

My Boxster has developed a really annoying rattle which sounds like metal banging, right behind the driver seat . I've had the engine cover off (which was interesting in itself), but I think it is the hood mechanism somewhere.

I really notice it on uneven roads (which means, everytime I drive out of the garage). I know it is nearly impossible to tell you guys exactly what it is like, therefore my question is:

Are there any common rattles that you guys come across regularly? If so, what are they, and how do we fix them? Maybe we could post the 10 most common rattles and fixes. That would be cool

aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 AM   #2

I've read about the one in your left ear - where a door hook catch is not properly set. A test is to put a wrap of electrical tape around the catch and then close the door and drive over the same surface. If gone then move catch inboard a fraction so the door has plenty of face pressure on the rubber trim - or replace tape as needed.

Quiet please!

Jim

Last edited by wetstuff; 04-04-2005 at 07:30 AM.
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:43 AM   #3

Talking

Good tip, Jim!

Thanks
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

rattle which sounds like metal banging

My '01 had a similar problem. It sounded lke a soup can grinding in the dash. I thought initially it came from behind me but the noise originated from the dash. There is a triangular steel tube that runs across the cockpit just above the knee bolsters. The central part of this tubes chafes against the central dash structure. The cure is to install some felt where the pieces touch. This tube is also bolted to the sides of the cockpit - this area also may need some felt. To me it is not a DIY. I had the dealer make the repairs. Refer to TSB 7018, the July 2002 version. The June 2000 version addresses other sources of noise in the dashborad area. TSB 7018 applies to the 996 as well as the 986.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #5

Thanks guys,
great tips - these are invaluable for those of us with ageing Boxsters!

aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:17 AM   #6

Digging up an old thread in lieu of starting a new one…

Is there a FAQ or compiled list of common rattles and squeaks either here or on the rennlist/renntech sites?

I have a very annoying rattle buzz that seems to be coming from behind me, sounds like a loose bolt or shield. It occurs between 18k – 28k rpm only when in motion. Hot or cold does not matter and I only notice it with the top up.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote