Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #1

n00b posting: What to know before long drive?

I am just going to say before I start that I am a first time Porsche owner that hasn't taken possession yet. This is my first ever thread and most likely the first of many since I have just bought an 01 boxster. I have yet to take possession as I live in Canada and purchased it from a dealership in Missouri. I had the PPI done by a Porsche mechanic and they found a couple things which I used to my advantage when negotiating the price. The valve cover gaskets were found to be seeping a small amount of oil and the outer cv axle boot is leaking a bit of grease. Everything else was found to be fine from what I have read in the inspection report. I have agreed to have those issues repaired and will have them fixed before I pick the car at the end of April.

My question is, what (if anything) should I ask the mechanic to address before I drive it home? Or what should I be thinking/concerned about? I will be driving it home which is about 1700 miles as soon as I pick it up, give or take and it already has 81k miles on it. If there is anyone out there that can give me some advice as to things I should take into account before I start the drive or while the mechanic has it I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by coolbreeze551; 03-31-2010 at 08:38 PM.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #2

Garage
Amazingly I am on the same boat. If everything goes as expected I should be getting a 2001 S with 36k on it next week and I am definitely planning on driving it all the way from California to Ottawa in Canada. 2,900 miles. Should be a hell of a nice drive and I am wondering too what I should do before taking the plunge.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #3

A handy thing to know that I hope you don't need. In the tool kit you will find what looks like an Aluminum dowel pin with threads on one end. If you need to change wheels, this device helps you center the wheel and rotor hat. In the absence of wheel studs, it's the bomb and a lot of people miss it at first...

PS Ottawa rules, what a beautiful city on a gorgeous waterway. I heard once they had good beer there too but that could have been a Creemore springs dream..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-19-2010 at 09:18 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #4

Off the top of my head, some extra oil and antifreeze?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #5

oil change, check coolant and brake fluids. check battery level and top off if needed. ensure you have the toolkit and that your spare is in good condition. if the serpentine belt hasn't been changed, or you do not know if it has, consider having it done before heading out. you can do it yourself if you want - quite easy and plenty of guides online.

if you're going to drive with the top down for extended periods, make sure you have a hat and sunscreen. sunglasses too.

be ready to do a good wash when you get home.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

crod, let me know how your trip goes. I hope everything goes smoothly.

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote