Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Can I modify the schnell short shifter kit? I want to shorten it.

I have this shifter

http://www.****************************************.com/UserData/Images/Large/197844.jpg

I havent taken apart my oem shifter so i dont know the shift knob looks inside. My friend is a machinist and he can cut the top an inch or 2 whatever i want and make it look the exact same just shorter. Is that possible? any suggestions?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #2

let me know when you find out, I had the same idea in mind
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
I have this shifter

http://www.****************************************.com/UserData/Images/Large/197844.jpg

I havent taken apart my oem shifter so i dont know the shift knob looks inside. My friend is a machinist and he can cut the top an inch or 2 whatever i want and make it look the exact same just shorter. Is that possible? any suggestions?
It may take some modification to both the bottom of the knob as well as the shifter itself, but it's certainly possible. Which knob do you have?

Keep in mind, the shorter you go with the knob end, the more notchy and harder to move into gear it will get.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
2001 RUF 3800S

The shifter is from a 911 Turbo, silver look. Not sure if that paints a picture or not.
As for the schnell kit, like i said before my friend is a machinist and he will make it look exactly as it does now just shorter so really i see no issues...
Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
The shifter is from a 911 Turbo, silver look. Not sure if that paints a picture or not.
As for the schnell kit, like i said before my friend is a machinist and he will make it look exactly as it does now just shorter so really i see no issues...
I asked because I was wondering if it's the snap-on or set-screw style. The bottom end of the knob comes pretty close to where the shifter flat section ends, so you will probably need to cut away the plastic from the bottom of the knob. That limits the amount you can shorten because the knob and the boot are integrated, if you want to keep them integrated, that is.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #6

yes, it's possible to do as long as you reshape/grind the shaft to a blade further down so it accepts the shift knob. That being said, I wouldn't cut more than 1" off as you don't have a lot to work w/ from the get go on a SSK. Any more and you'll definitely have to modify the knob.

The basic difference between the OEM shifter and any SSK (B&M or Schnell) is the pivot point. It's just a simple lever as you know. In the OEM, there is more distance between the pivot point and the top where the shift knob is. In and SSK, there is more distance below the pivot point and connecting rods and less from pivot point to the top.

Personally, I'd start w/ a 1/2" trim and see how that feels. Others I know who did it stopped at 3/4" and said it was perfect.

Good luck

PS - Pedro from Pedro's Garage cut his down but I don't recall how much specifically. Here's a photo capturing how short the range is on his now:

Check out his site and ask him directly how much he cut it down. While you're there / talking w/ him, you should also pick up a technoBrace and/or the technoTorque. Worthwhile mods

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 03-15-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote