Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Steering

I have been thinking about this for while about the steering of my 2002 Boxster (68k). My 2001 Elantra requires a very light effort to steer the car. But my boxster feels very heavy in steering. I did check the steering fluid and it is OK. I don't have any whinning sound or any funny movement when you move the steering wheel. I also don't feel the power steering helping my steering. The car runs great.

I would like to get your opinion about this. I am not sure if I need to replace my power steering pump or I am missing something. Please help, thank you very much.

itoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #2

I have an '02 Elantra and an '01 Boxster at the house, so I guess I'm qualified to answer. Yes, the Elantra has very light and over-boosted power steering. This is intentional. Makes for easy driving and keeps that nasty road feel out of the equation.

Yes, when compared to the Elantra, the Boxster feels like it has less power-assist and requires more effort to turn. This is also intentional. More feedback is one of the main advantages. I love it.

Now, if the steering effort feels the same with both the engine running (idling while parked) and while it's not running (parked), then you probably have p/s issues.

Last edited by Samson; 03-10-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Garage
I have never driven a car with better feel in the steering than a Boxster/Cayman. It is simply superb, probably my favorite aspect of the car.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
I have an '02 Elantra and an '01 Boxster at the house, so I guess I'm qualified to answer. Yes, the Elantra has very light and over-boosted power steering. This is intentional. Makes for easy driving and keeps that nasty road feel out of the equation.

Yes, when compared to the Elantra, the Boxster feels like it has less power-assist and requires more effort to turn. This is also intentional. More feedback is one of the main advantages. I love it.

Now, if the steering effort feels the same with both the engine running (idling while parked) and while it's not running (parked), then you probably have p/s issues.
LOL, I had a 99 Box and a 03 Elantra (wife)
and I totally agree with everything you said
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #5

Hyundai vs. Porsche steering is like comparing apples and oranges serial killers.

Last edited by Stroked & Blown; 03-10-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Stroked & Blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #6

I think it's called lack of steering feedback, you should take your Hyundai to your mechanic and ask him why you can't feel the road with your fingers.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #7

Eat your Wheaties and go to the gym and pump some iron...or...check your tire pressure.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

Zero effort, zero feedback Hundai steering and Boxster steering response would be fatal!!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #9

I remember whem my ex tried my boxter, she tought there was no power steering.. lol
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

The best way to fix your Boxster's steering problem is to get in it, take it to the dealer, and trade it in for another sedan. The car doesn't sound like a good fit for you.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
LOL, I had a 99 Box and a 03 Elantra (wife)
and I totally agree with everything you said
Yeah, it belongs to the girlfriend. I do have to say it's one hell of a car for the money. Quiet, reliable, really comfortable, efficient, and can take a beating. Handling, while entertaining due to the floppy suspension and relatively high grip levels of the General Altimax HPs that I installed (keeping with the cheap but impressive theme), is not one of the strong points. It does rotate pretty willingly though.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
Yeah, it belongs to the girlfriend. I do have to say it's one hell of a car for the money. Quiet, reliable, really comfortable, efficient, and can take a beating. Handling, while entertaining due to the floppy suspension and relatively high grip levels of the General Altimax HPs that I installed (keeping with the cheap but impressive theme), is not one of the strong points. It does rotate pretty willingly though.
And it can pull trailler up to 3500 lbs!! (vs 1500lbs for usual cars)
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
Hyundai vs. Porsche steering is like comparing apples and oranges serial killers.

It's funny to make jokes about Hyundai.... My best friend from childhood works for them and I'll tell you this, the Genesis coupe he is currently sporting is a freaking nice car...
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
It's funny to make jokes about Hyundai.... My best friend from childhood works for them and I'll tell you this, the Genesis coupe he is currently sporting is a freaking nice car...
Yes the Genesis is probably the most sportiest sports car to come out of Asia for the past decade, and it puts Toyota/Honda/Mazda to shame... but it's still a Hyundai at the end of the day.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Yes the Genesis is probably the most sportiest sports car to come out of Asia for the past decade, and it puts Toyota/Honda/Mazda to shame... but it's still a Hyundai at the end of the day.

When I was growing up, that's what we said about every tin wind up toy that lasted four hours that came from Japan. Then as an adult, I watched Fuji shove Kodak's expired digital patent up their ass, forcing the sale of the HSD division and the loss of more than 50,000 careers, (like my 16 year run). George Eastman supplied the first coated glass plate to Conrad Willhelm Roentgen around 1890's that's how old the division was. Now Canada owns what's left of it...

PS Porsche is now just VW's luxury line...lol

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-11-2010 at 09:25 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
...but it's still a Hyundai at the end of the day.
...and that is a good thing. They aren't exactly making 1986 Ponys and Excels anymore.

They make a great car at a affordable price for the class. I'd take a Genesis 4.6 over pretty much anything this side of an LS600 (and that includes anything from the stylistically-challenged big 3 over in Deutschland).

I suppose it's that kind of brand history that screwed VW with the Phaeton. Then again, they weren't exactly intelligent with their pricing strategy.

Last edited by Samson; 03-11-2010 at 09:32 AM.