Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Replacing the canvas from the top frame is not really a DIY type job.
I'm not sure what you mean... I just did it. Cost me $350 for the top and a few bucks for two-sided automotive tape. Took me ~6 hours, following instructions you can find on the internet. I'm no mechanic, and I've never even owned a convertible until a few months ago.

I'm like others here... had it cost more than say $1k, I would have saved the cash to put towards a Zeintop.

I'm not like most others here in that I decided to skip the glass option even though it was less than $100 difference. The aftermarket glass is pretty small, which causes 2 problems, IMHO:

1. Reduced visibility (already mentioned).

2. Uglier lines around the back of the car. It just doesn't look right to me.

wulfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #42

Wulfgang can you please post a link to instructions?
I coudn't find them anywhere..

Also are there any tips or special tools needed for this?

After owning car for almost 2 month I discovered that previous owner did a lot of wrong things with it... one of them being self sewing a plastic window that ls very thin and looks like it just came out of dryer
If I can replace top by myself.. I'd definately go for one of those tops with TPU plastics (or maybe GAHH soundproof glass if my wifey will aloow me)

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #43

I just replaced my Plastic window myself for around $20. It really wasn't that hard, just tedious. I started to take the canvas top off, but it started getting ugly so I stopped. What I mean is that I could defiantely see problems putting it back on. If you screw up your rubber molding, which is likely, it will cost you a lot to get it replaced. Plus it looked like more work than me sewing in a new top. I just washed my car and you

Here is the link in the DIY forum of how to install the window, with pics.
http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24007

My 2 cents: If you got the "coin", just pay somebody to put a new top on right. If your frugal like me or even if your a cheap skate and you have a day to spare, do it yourself. It really isn't that hard. I think I rated it a 4.5 out of 10. there is a lot of bending, and getting up and down so if your not nimble be warned. You will be sore the next day(like me)

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 03-25-2010 at 12:11 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Wulfgang can you please post a link to instructions?
I coudn't find them anywhere..
It's on the wiki:

http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/e/eb/DIY_Boxster_Conv_Top_Canvas_R_R.pdf

Just be careful and go slow. There shouldn't be any issues with tearing the weatherstrip. My car is 10 years old and the weatherstrip was fine.

The number one thing you need to do is get the correct 2-sided tape. It is thin, like regular scotch tape. Don't try to use the stuff with the foam core.

Oh, and it is definitely tight at first. Mine took two people to close. Don't try to close it for the fist time when it is cold... park it out in the sun first.

wulfgang is offline   Reply With Quote