View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Boxtaboy
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
You can put a 2003 or 04 OEM top with glass on your 97, as long as you get one complete with the whole top frame (it's a 4-rib frame, not 3, which the pre-2003 models came with). Here's a pic of my 01 (in silver with an 03 top), and my friend Maurice's 97 (in blue with an 04 top). It's a direct swap for the 2000, 2001, and 2002 model yr. cars (you just unbolt your whole top with frame, and then bolt in the new one), but you can still make it work with the 97, 98, and 99 models, if you do a little extra wiring work so that the top knows when to stop cycling when you operate it. Not difficult at all. Just contact Maurice (his handle on this board is "schoir"), and he can walk you thru what's needed to get it done. The tough part is finding the 03 or 04 top. I got mine directly from a guy who wrecked his car, and decided to part it out for only $700 bucks; my pal Maurice got it from a dismantler in the Northeast for only a little more.

It's by far my best mod because I no longer have to worry if it's too cold to put the top down and since it's OEM, there's no restriction to the top of the engine cover when you need to get in there (there's a built in strap to hold the glass window up when you put it into service position), and the glass area is still large for a clear view of what's behind you. The plastic window also makes the car look dated to me, so I was glad to get that cracking piece of shower curtain looking like thing off the car (yes, my plastic window also cracked in mid 50s weather).

If you want to see how the conversion actually works once done, just look at this video we took right after bolting in the 03 top on my car. Works like it came like that right from the factory!

Video after 03 factory top conversion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCKcRrmR_c

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 03-10-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote