Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #21

Just got back from my first drive since last November. What a great day here in Toronto...12Celsius (about 50F) and sunny! Unplugged the trickle charger, readjusted the tire pressure, rolled the car forward in fifth gear for 10 feet, fired her up with no problems and had a great drive for about 45 minutes. Took it easy for awhile, then had a little fun!!! What a great feeling again. Drove past 5 OPP (Provincial Police) in the first half hour...lucky on all of them! Thanks for all the tips on storage and restarting...this is a great forum. Happy driving boys!!!!!!!

boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #22

Oh yea, it's time. I have it stored in a 50 degree garage since Nov 30th. Start it up once a week and drive it around the block every two. Always put it back in a little different place. So, insurance starts on Thursday, have done everything i want to it (well at least for this week) and out it comes then. Hope it is ok, but once i'm out i won't care. Probably like the rest of you cold weather people, i can't wait!
SStiebers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #23

A week ago took off the car cover, opened the trunk (did not lock it), connected the battery, turned the key and waited 2 minutes before firing it up. Reset the tire pressure and drove to the closest Shell station (easy drive) and gassed up. I drove it easy for at least 200 KM before I drove it a bit harder. I still have to keep her revs below 5,500 RPM for the next 500 KMs as the motor has been rebuilt. The driving is sure fun!!!

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #24

Plated mine up this last weekend. I stored it tank full, and now I've topped off from a half tank twice so my gas is fresh enough. Next is another tank with Lubro-Moly, and then a fresh belly-full of Mobil1, new fuel filter, and a fresh set of plugs and tubes (they're seeping). Did the air filters and belt before I rolled it out for the first time. (So that's what the engine looks like!)

Hey Randall - I put your seat covers on, too. Got small hands and skinny arms so I didn't have to take the seats out. Exactly what I was looking for - thanks again!

Sure gotta love an early spring. I wasn't expecting to drive for another month or two yet.

Mark
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #25

Glad to hear others are enjoying that first spring (early!) drive!!! Tomorrow in the GTA it's going upto 20C+, then 25C the next...can you say "top down???" Enjoy.
boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #26

FYI: Had a very long conversation with Porsche mechanic and he seemed to know his stuff. He said, the worst thing you can do to a Porsche is let it sit. It loves to be driven, not occasionally.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
FYI: Had a very long conversation with Porsche mechanic and he seemed to know his stuff. He said, the worst thing you can do to a Porsche is let it sit. It loves to be driven, not occasionally.
Generally true, but not for a car in the Snow Belt! Some people have no option but to store it or watch the road salt eat it away bit-by-bit.

Storing a car isn't difficult or bad for it if stored properly. These are procedures many quality Museums use to keep a car healthy through years of non-use.

I've yet to hear of anyone having issues if the car was properly stored, but this forum is pelted annually by those who discount the value or are unwilling to take the proper steps.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #28

Yep, the salt and sand used around here is one good reason not to winter-drive it. Another is that I don't have a block heater installed (do these motors even have frost plugs?) and I just don't see it starting at -35C without one and, if it does start, that's really, really hard on the engine. My third reason is that I live in the bad driver capital of the world and I just know that some idiot would slam into me because she misjudged the stopping distance on ice.

Thanks for the Lubro-Moly Jectron tip, Lil B. Was a ******************** to find the stuff, though. I have a 300 ml can. Should I add that to a full tank, half tank... what's the ideal concentration?

Mark
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #29

Started up the three cars I store every winter today. Haven't sat in the Boxster since October. Started right up, no issues. Life is good.

Dave S.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #30

wonder if you over service the oil to let sit then drain same amt when ready to start? Kind of a pain but might keep engine well lubricated??
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #31

I tried pushing the car forward in 5th last spring and just about had a hernia. Couldn't get it to move. Yes, the brake was off. Need more Wheaties I guess.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #32

Don't overthink this thing.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #33

Smile Taking 1999 Boxter out of storage

I have been reading the forum, good information regarding taking my Boxter out of storage for the first time, (just bought it last fall). My problem is that mine is a tip tronic, not a standard 6 speed.... so i cannot put it in fifth gear as you can, and roll it to make sure it is not froze up. Any suggestions guys? I don't want to screw this up being my first spring start up.

would appreciate your input.

Mc Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I guess I should consider myself lucky since the weather where I live allows me to drive all year long.

When you store your cars during cold weather do everyone just let it sit that long without starting it up periodically?

I have a garage queen which I rarely drive. Maybe 1k a year if I even reach that. I do make it a point to start it up at least once a week just to keep it lubricted and have a battery tender hooked up.
McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #34

My 99 Boxter is a tiptronic not a standard 6 speed, any suggestions on best practice for spring start up?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #35

A few months in storage? Personally, I'd turn the key and start it.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
Don't overthink this thing.
+1. Just turn the key!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #37

Have a 02 tip ... make sure the tire pressure is correct, oil level is good and battery is charged or has a fair charge. Start it up (which may take a few seconds) and let it idle for a bit. Need to ensure the oil has flowed for a bit and let it get to operating temp to burn off the water in the crank. Take it easy for a bit as you drive to the gas station to fill up on fresh gas. Tap the brakes a few times to ensure any rust has been removed and they will stop the car. Once it has fresh gas, go for a nice cruise foa a bit to awaken the car. Try not to drive it hard for a hour or so.

What I usually do is connect a battery charger and run it till the battery is 100% charged ... have a "inteligent" version. I have done this for over 11 years with my earlier 951 and for two years with the Beepster. May pull it out this weekend ...

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #38

Mcduff - 99 Boxter

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I had it serviced just before storage, even changed tranny fluid. Had trickle charger on it all winter, and did the steel wool in the tail pipe, pumped tires, even put a pan with charcoal in passenger area to absorb moisture! All ideas that came from this web site.

I will do as you suggest, turn the key and let it warm up. I just saw the comments regarding the oil being totally trained to the lower pan, and dry pistons, and did not want to launch the motor before I really got to drive it. Sounds like maybe overkill.

It's a 99 as I said, with 30,00 miles, gray on gray, and I am excited and get going. We live in cold weather also (Michigan), so we get about 5 months use, and it is about to start.

Thanks again for your input!

McDuff
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
A few months in storage? Personally, I'd turn the key and start it.
Thank GOD for some sanity!

This thread is unravelling into nonsense. What's next? "using a 10cc syringe place 8cc's of synthetic into each cylinder ... then put a heating pad on the motor and light some incense .."

Get in, turn the key and you're good to go.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Thank GOD for some sanity!

This thread is unravelling into nonsense. What's next? "using a 10cc syringe place 8cc's of synthetic into each cylinder ... then put a heating pad on the motor and light some incense .."

Get in, turn the key and you're good to go.
Better safe than sorry, you may not get a second chance.