Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #1

wet passenger carpet

Hi I keep the Boxster outside with a good half cover over the roof. Just noticed today that the passenger side carpet is wet, not flooded though,as I realise the ECU is under seat . Their is 4 rubber grommet type thingys with slots in bottom by battery.when I put water down the 2 outboard ones it comes out above front wheels. When I put water down the 2 inboard ones by battery it does not appear to drain anywhere, perhaps it fall's onto under tray of car. The front grommets have a slot in the base of them , I presume to let the water through. Apparantly, Porsche did away with drain tubes at some time, and just had the Grommets through the body work, The rear of the mat does not seem wet , just the front. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

duncan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:36 AM   #2

When you run your AC, can you see the condesation drip outside the car?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #3

You really need to check ALL your drains, not just the front ones. Water will collect toward the front, even with the rears clogged.

Please also pull your carpet look to really check what's happening. There is insulation under the carpet that soaks up water like crazy! By the time you realize that you have wet carpet, the insulation will be saturated with water. Been there, done that, luckily, not on my current Boxster.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

Hey I had that problem and it was a misalignment of the cabin filter tray during assembly when new. I had to lift out the cabin filter and remove the screws. Then I pulled the tray out which destroys the original gasket. The misalignment was obvious when I studied the remnants of the old gasket. I scraped them clean and applied some gasket- maker and reassembled. Finally my high end roadster was water-tight!:dance:
PS even without the drainage tubes water should still hit the ground. I used a coat hanger. If memory serves me... one on each side exits out the inner fender behind the strut assembly.

Last edited by polarmoment; 01-16-2018 at 02:00 PM.
polarmoment is offline   Reply With Quote