Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #21

What I love about TG is that they test drive exotic cars the same way I would if I knew I didn't have to pay for replacement tires or brake pads. They drive them like they stole them and push the cars way beyond their capabilities.

Compare this to the PBS show Motorweek from Owing Mills, Maryland, which never says a negative thing about any of the cars they review and the friggin' show puts me to sleep it's so dull and lifeless. It's like watching consumer reports on quaaludes.

TG is pure entertainment to me, who give a different high-end car a starring role as a guest each episode.

Each week though, Jeremy makes a comment that Americans are all fat and lazy while completely ignoring the fact that England has a serious obesity problem... and he's no skin and bones actor who could stand to lose 20 pounds himself.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #22

>> ignoring the fact that England has a serious obesity problem

Unfortunately, very true.

I can only nod solemnly
willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willd
>> ignoring the fact that England has a serious obesity problem

Unfortunately, very true.

I can only nod solemnly

And bad teeth.....don't forget our bad teeth!
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H
And bad teeth.....don't forget our bad teeth!
Thankfully, I don't think that's so prevelent nowadays. Well, you can find some tombstone teeth people in Scotland I guess.... And Norwich. But Norwich is full of people with webbed feet etc, so it's fully explainable.
willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #25

Man, I watched this show a couple of times this past week on BBC America and was really disappointed. I may be wrong, but I think I remember the show back in the day having a lot more test drives. Now it seems to be geared towards stupid "reality" show type stuff- most of which is staged. Really disappointed...

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #26

That's weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
Absolutely Love Top Gear. Watch it every Monday and DVR as much of it as possible. My wife even enjoys it!!
That is exactly verbatim of what I was going to say!!
ElementAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #27

I hate that show! I have watched every episoid for the last three years and I hate in even more.
I'll hate it again when I watch it tonight off the TEVO.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Have to admit, I'm not such a fan. What they don't know or appreciate about cars would fill a library.

IMHO, they belong on Comedy Central and if it's automotive comedy I want, I'll take Click and Clack, the Tappet Bros. over these guys anytime.
I'm sorry...
Did you really just compare Top Gear to Click and Clack?

You just compared a show about humorous trio of moto-journalists vs a pair of humorous auto mechanics.

Three guys who actually test and torture cars, from top dollar exotics, to $1500 clunkers, and think of all different ways to amuse us, in comparison to two guys who don't even repair cars anymore, who think of new ways to mildly insult their callers and each other? Who stopped test driving cars after declaring the Toyota Corolla the most car anyone ever needs, and anyone who buys more car is an idiot?

You made this comparison?
On this forum?
Really?

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #29

I really love TG. It may not always be unbiased or factual. But its humorous and the cinematography is amazing. Their budget is ridiculous! No one but the BBC could ever pull it off like that.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #30

I'm all caught up with all the UK seasons (14 finished and 15 is coming in the summer right?). I try to watch the episodes the day it comes out in the UK, although that is a bit hard here in the states.

It's not as big as it is in the UK I'm sure, but it has to be a pretty big thing since BBC America shows Top Gear and they were considering having an American version of it (got canceled for some reason).

A lot of that show is scripted for humor and appealing to Europeans (especially the British). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since American shows try to make America look great too, but it's the cause of some of the hatred and punishing reviews that are put out.

Jeremy isn't happy with any Porsche at this point other than the 944. According to him:
The 911 hasn't changed and is ugly
The Boxster looks like it was lazily designed
The Cayman is just a filler for a gap in the market
The Cayenne is the ugliest SUV ever
The Panamera looks like an Austin Maxi

And he prefers Ferrari because they have "soul" (what I consider a word car journalists use when they have to justify their personal liking of one car over the other).

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote